Computer Freezing for a short time (Hardware Fault)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bellb

Hi, I have recently built my own PC but when im using it, It constantly freezes for about 20-30 seconds then it works again but it keeps doing it, and the Hard Drive light stays on during the freeze and when it starts flashing the computer starts working again, Some people say I go too fast but I only run one program at a time, Also it is a gaming computer so it should be able to cope, can anyone tell me what is causing this to freeze.
Also It takes ages for something to install on the computer.

My system specs are:
P5K Premium Motherbaord
BFG GTX 280 Graphics Card (1GB)
Reaper 8GB DDR2 RAM
1TB Spinpoint F1 Hard Drive
1000W Coolermaster Power Supply
Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader Drive
Q6600 2.5GHz Porcessor
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

One of these is slowing my computer down badly, but I dont know which one. I have a feeling it could be the Hard Drive because of the Slow Installations and freezes and also the light being on when it does, but im not sure.

Identical problem here.. hard drive light goes solid and pc just stops for 1 min, still able to move the mouse cursor but cannot slect anything or alt-tab etc. Any alt tab or double clicking is cached up and then all fired off at once when the minute freeze is up.

I'm pretty certain now it's down to my Asus P5K-E motherboard (which is what I assume the original poster has)

I'm looking towards M/Board now as I have swapped drives and changed CPU from Q6600 to Q8200 also switched from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit and still get the issue.

I alleviated it for a while by switching my SATA 300 drive down to 150 mode by setting the jumpers.

Have flashed the P5K to the latest bios with no joy.

Full specs are..
Q8200 Quad
Asus P5K-E Wifi Premium
500GB Samsung SATA300
4GB Ram
lightscribe 20x DVDRW
Sony Bluray Drive (installed after problem had already appeared)
2 x ATI HD3870's in crossfire config.
Windows 7 64bit / WinXP dual boot.

Hi Rorcus,

May pay to create your own thread so that we can solve both your problems separately.

The problems may seem similar but could end up being totally different >.<

Just safer to have two separate threads so no one gets confused

Hi 1bellb,

Have you run any virus/spyware scans on your machine?
Also, have you run any hardware checks on your components

Sorry if I'm covering past ground :)

No, I am still having the problem. I can't seem to fix it, I know that it isn't a virus and seems I think the problem is the hard drive I am having it sent in to my local computer shop, but I can't find anything wrong with it, but the Ram has been tested and I have had a new graphics card put in, but it is still the same. If you know of anything else it could be It would bemuch appreciated
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back