TechSpot

Computer freezing - high 60s C

By Brighter Hell
Apr 2, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Every once in a while when i'm playing games or even sometimes playing videos in windows media player or burning a cd, the computer will freeze. the CPU temp is usually in the high 60s celcius when this happens, which i didn't think was hot enough to overheat the system. i'm also wondering why it gets that hot in the first place. here are my system's specs:

- Athlon XP 1600+
    - ASUS A7A 266 board
    - 256 MB DDR RAM
    - CPU fan with copper heat sink, 1 exhaust case fan
    - nvidia geforce2 32 MB video card
    - SB Live! 5.1 sound card
    - Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers total 90 watts
    - Seagate 40 GB HD
    - ATX mid-tower with 280 watt power supply
    - LG 16x10x40 CDRW

the computer idles at about 58-60 C. when i take the side cover off that drops into the low 50s. but even sometimes when the cover's off it heats up enough to freeze everything when i'm running a program. i installed a case fan at the back, but that doesn't seem to be making much of a difference, at least to the idle temp.

okay, questions:

why does the system run so hot?

should the system be able to handle those temperatures?

could it be a power supply issue? would a, say, 400 watt power supply help?

or the video card? it's a geforce2 and it doesn't have a fan - just a heat sink. i just moved the sound card down a slot to give the video card some more breathing room.

when a computer overheats it normally shuts down, right? why is mine simply freezing?

any other advice? thanks.
  2. Raiders

Raiders Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

Just my $.02 (I'm new on AMD issues)
    did you use thermal paste or pad?
    is it factory HSF?
    are you over-clocking?
    Freeze-up's mostly point at drivers & IRQ conflicks
    280W is low (but not too low unless your maxed on IDE's)
  3. Brighter Hell

Brighter Hell Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 61

I don't think i'm over-clocking. how can i tell? my cpu speed is set at 1400 mhz and the DIP switches are all set to the default off position.

i installed the cpu fan without using any thermal paste. i think my next step is to get some thermal paste - i never even knew that stuff existed until recently. how much of a difference does it make?
  4. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

thermal paste will generally drop your temps by ~10C
  5. Brighter Hell

Brighter Hell Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 61

I just got some silicone heat sink grease. The CPU's now running at 49 C. You're right, a 10 C drop. I haven't tested it with games or anything yet.

Just one question. Shouldn't an AMD chip be able to handle temperatures in the high 60s?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.