Computer freezing in Oblivion game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

I was playing Oblivion on the default settings when I realized that I could play on a higher resolution because I have a good graphics card.
It was going fine for a while yet the last time I tried to play the game kept freezing on me.
I tried lowering the resolution and graphics but to no avail it still freezes.
I'm kinda confused now.
If it helps just recently I had Roxio on my computer and it refuses to uninstall properly. Everytime I start my computer an error comes on screen saying I need to run Roxio setup.exe which is complete Bull. I doubt this is connected to my video problem but Im not positive.

Anyway my main problem is the freezing of video during gameplay of Oblivion.

Can anyone help?

I solved (most of) my Oblivion lockups by editing Oblivion.ini, lowering iThreads and iNumHavokThreads values. Apparently the engine not that well multithreaded.

As for Roxio, you might be able to disable that startup thing with msconfig.

Yes, I've seen the Roxio error message before. It might be related to your problem as Roxio has some kind of add-on that conflicts with other devices. I can't remember offhand how it's fixed as I haven't encoutnered this one in a long while.

Do a Google search on it also check the Microsoft Support KB as I recall seeing the Roxio problem mentioned in some articles there.

If it turns out that the Roxio error message is unrelated to your video, and Mic's suggestion above doesn't work, the next likly problem is the video RAM. All gaming video cards have their own RAM and I've had a few customers who had freezing problems. When we swawped the video card it disappeared. So we concluded it's bad RAM on the card.

-- Andy

Anyone reading this, I have a solution thats worked for me. I downloaded K-Lite Codec pack and toggled on the sound filters, Ive been playing Oblivion for about an hour and no faults.

Andy

Ive been trying for a while to get rid of the Roxio bug but even with all its components uninstalled it still has some kind of hidden files trying to reinstall the update manager, this is beyond frusterating but at least I figured out the Oblivion thing!

Andy

Ive been trying for a while to get rid of the Roxio bug but even with all its components uninstalled it still has some kind of hidden files trying to reinstall the update manager, this is beyond frusterating but at least I figured out the Oblivion thing!

IIRC, the Roxio uninstall program fails to remove all the registry entries. It's been awhile since I've had to fix this problem. I do recall I had several in a row. I think, and agian this is because I used to be a high tech engineer, that Roxio put out some add-ons that conflicted with Windows. Basically, Roxio developers were doing things that Microsoft developers didn't realize could be manipulated. That's why I've seen Microsoft Support KB articles mentioned "if you have Roxio installed" But Microsoft developers then fixed the holes in the Windows to prevent Roxio developers from exploiting them which is why I haven't encountered it in more than a year.

Try a Google search on the error message and see if someone has a fix for it. IIRC, you need to edit the Windows Registry.

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back