Computer freezing randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is as follows:

MS Windows XP Home SP3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 2.0 GB Corsair XMAS2 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

My computer has been freezing for what seems like ever since I built it. I reformatted it in January/December ish, and it eventually started freezing again randomly. It will freeze when I search the internet, while I'm playing music/video, while I'm playing a game, while I'm not doing anything, etc. It's all random. There is no pattern to it.

I tried updating my drivers. But I'm pretty sure most of them are up to date.

I'm thinking this is a Mobo or PSU problem, but I have no knowledge on how to figure out if its true. This is a custom built computer, so when I was doing research on how to fix freezing problems, I came across information on PSU not sending out enough power? Or too much?

When I talked to my friend who helped me built the computer, about the PSU potential issue, he confirmed that it probably isn't the PSU because he hand picked the parts I was going to use and my power supply is sufficient for what system I have I guess (Enermax Model ELT500AWT).

So I'm completely confused to approach this thing. I used CCleaner multiple times to fix any problems with the registry, but the freezing problem is still persistent. Happening multiple times every day and requiring a restart....

I also used Windows Memory Diagnostic and another memory diagnostic tool (I forgot the name), last fall multiple times and two days ago -- both came up with no issues with my RAM either.

Any information you need to help me, I can provide. Please help me fix this problem! I would appreciate it very much!

EDIT: It's also not overheating; I use the Core Center program and generally my temps stay at 37 - 45 (Celsius) for CPU and System Temperatures. I did notice recently that my CPU is getting around 50-51 h/e. I decided to install Speed Fan and here are my current temps:

GPU: 57C
Local: 43C
Remote: 52C
System: 45C
CPU: 56C
AUX: 55C
HD0: 36C
HD1: 37C
Core: 56C

Using SpeedFan, there is flames next the following bold items:

GPU: 57C
Local: 43C
Remote: 52C
System: 45C
CPU: 56C
AUX: 55C

HD0: 36C
HD1: 37C
Core: 56C

I noticed Fans 1, 2, and were at 100%, but Fan 3 was at 49%, so I changed it to 100%. Now my temps are going down.

Is this a good thing? I don't even know what Fan #'s correspond to, and/or if Fan 3 should be near 100%.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back