Computer frequently freezing with new components

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a bunch of new components for my computer (CPU, RAM, Motherboard), put them together, and did a fresh re-installation of Windows XP. However, I've come across some problems almost immediately; the computer will either freeze, or randomly restart itself every 30 minutes or so.

I monitored the CPU temp. It's running at around 23-25 C idle, and 29-31 C under heavy load. Seems like that's a little bit too cold. I was considering slowing the fan speeds to see if that stopped the crashes, but I decided not to go and mess around with that yet.

I haven't changed anything in the BIOS, I'm not using any over-clocking, and I already installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard.

One of the times that it randomly restarted itself, it had came up with an error saying "A Hypertransport Sync Flood Error occured on the last boot". That only happened once, though. Browsing through the internet, I discovered that the likely cause of that error is insufficient voltage going to the RAM. My RAM only requires 1.5V to run; I left it as Auto in the BIOS.

Here are the hardware components I've just installed:

Motherboard - "MSI 785GM-E51 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard"
RAM - "CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9DHX"
CPU - "AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor"

So, any thoughts on what might be the cause of the frequent freezing/restarting?

Does the Auto set it at 1.5v? Go ahead and manually set your RAM to 1.5v because too often Auto doesn't necessarily set the voltage at the designed voltage specs for the memory.

Also, what is the make and wattage of your PSU?

The PSU is a Gearmax TRU480. Wattage is 480.

I'll try manually setting the RAM voltage, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Edit: That definitely seems to have done the trick. Been up for about 2 hours, and not a single freeze or restart. That's the longest it has gone so far.

I'll try manually setting the RAM voltage, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Edit: That definitely seems to have done the trick. Been up for about 2 hours, and not a single freeze or restart. That's the longest it has gone so far.

Good! Keep us updated.

o.gif

I had that kind of problem and was benefited from this link, you may try it-
http://ezinearticles.com/?Troubleshooting-Computer-Freeze-(Lockup)-Problems&id=39981

Never heard of that power supply and neither has Google (apart from one other result).

I'm suspicious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back