Computer fried? HELP HElp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkaa

Okay, i need help, a few days ago, i turned off my computer, okay so then i come back later on during the day to turn it on. Guess what? It doesnt boot up anymore? The HD led is always on and so is the little light on the CD burner. Now i have tried everything that i know to fix it. I have a MSI K6 Delta motherboard 2800xp cpu. I wanna fix this but i have no idea how to, im guessing my motherboard fried or something BUT I DIDNT open the case or anything. btw i know its not the power supply either, so somebody please please help my main computer is messed up :(

Can you give us your full system specs? Also, how old is the system? Is it sitting near any heat sources? Have you physically unplugged the unit for awhile, plugged it back in and tried it? Could it be just the power switch?

Depending on your mobo [and if you made the PC yourself or not] you could download the manual to your motherboard, and see where the "Clear CMOS" jumper is. You basically lift the jumper off the pins 1-2, and put it on 2-3 for a second (it could be vise-versa) then replace the jumper to pins 1-2. That will reset the BIOS for you. May not fix anything, but hey - its worth a shot, and its all i can think of :p

I would try booting the system with a startup floppy disk of the kind that you can get the files for from http://www.bootdisk.com.

If it won't boot, and you didn't make any changes to the system, then in all probability the motherboard has died.

I would try installing the RAM, CPU, and adapter cards in another computer that has a known working power supply and motherboard to establih this as a fact.

Eric,
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

I have a MSI k6delta, i did nothing physical to my computer, its not near any hear sources. My computer wont even boot, i tried to boot it from my windows XP cd, the monior just stays blank. Yes i did try CMOS thing, i also took out the battery and put it back in. My computer turns on, it just stays blank, the light on the monitor stays orange instead of green, I usually get that when the video card is not working but i have tested the video card and it works. Ill say this, its not the first time that has happened, i have done NOTHING to it physically if it was a booting problem then i would be able to fix it, but it wont boot from nothing. I have a question one more question, once in a while, when i press the power button on the computer it would give me a little shock or something, would this have anything to do with it? I know the mobo is not working (again)

MSI K6 Delta
AMD 2800XP
generic bran 512 mb 400mhz
30gb maxtor hd
8gb Maxtor
Geforce MX 420 pci
Sony CD-RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back