Computer Gone Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am new to this forum, so I was unsure of where to place this post, so hopefully this is a good enough place to put it.

I was trying to get a free Registry Clean-Up, and downloaded one off a website which I can't remember, unfortunately, it was some kind of virus.

I did not realise that I had this, until I turned my computer on and it kept re-booting before getting to log-on screen.

I managed to get into safe-mode and discovered that I had no access to anything on the start menu, apart from internet and email. All programs, My computer, Run etc had gone. There was "Virus Alert!" also written on the taskbar, next to the clock. I then clicked on recycling bin, discovered there was no longer the C Drive in the taskbar (it is on other usernames though). I then clicked in the address bar and entered "C:\" and got access the drive. I then clicked on Program Files and gained access to my programs.

I then ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG 8.0 (command prompt version), Norton Security Scan, and they all picked up different threats, including trojans. However, none of these made any visible difference. I then read on a forum that I should try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, this found a few trojans, but still no visible difference.

I then read on this forum on a different post that I should try SmitfraudFix (cannot post link due to first post), this worked and I can now access all options on the start menu, and also the "Virus Alert!" has gone from the taskbar. It is now back to normal, however, only in Safe Mode.

Every time that I try booting my computer as normal it keeps flashing blue, and restarting. I went into Safe Mode and turned off automatic computer restart when problem is found. I then tried booting my computer as normal, and it came up with the blue screen.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0xC0000005 (0xF799F530, 0xF799F22C, 0xF6B504EC, 0xF6B504EC)

I know that this is normally a hardware issue, but it has only happened since the virus/trojan occured, and the computer can still boot in safe mode.

Hope you can help!

leofea, it might be best for you to backup (even in Safe Mode if possible)
And then Install Windows Clean (ie fully format and start again)

I say this because, doing this will eliminate any possible hardware issue being the fault. And would be much quicker all round !

thank you for your quick reply.

What is the best way to do this?

If possible, I do not want to re-install all my programs.

What is the best way to do this?

Go to Safe Mode and try to back up all your user data to a CD or DVD (assuming you may have a Writer installed)

By the way, Data should always be backed up but not programs
Because:
1. Programs contiuously Update
2. You are best to use the Programs Setup CD or direct download from the web
3. Program system files are Not in one location, but actually spread across Windows.

Backup
Put the Windows CD in
Remove the Partition (you will see this area)
Setup Windows

Obviously doing the above will remove everything from your computer
So you will then require
1. The Drivers CD (hopefully you have ie Sound; Video; ...) You can also freely download all your Motherboard's updated drivers from your manufacture's support page.
2. All Windows Security Updates
3. Office; Adobe; or any other program you have
4. At last Antivirus software (yes this is last) Plus updates online

5. Then return your backup data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back