TechSpot

computer hanging, monitor goes black

By AWBrown
Mar 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starting yesterday my computer freezes every couple minutes. Most often this is accompanied with the monitor going black for a couple seconds. Redraw problems are also occurring. This has happened in the past but only for ~30-40 min. and after a reboot or two, it went back to normal. Now, I can’t work.

I have a feeling that this has something to do with LogMeIn. I used it a lot the day before the problems started and this has also happened the day after using it to work remotely.

I uninstalled LogMeIn and have canceled most of the process that I can identify, but the problem persists. I uninstalled NetMeeting, since it was the last new program I started messing around with before the problems started.

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know what other info would be helpful and I'll gather it.

Below is my computer:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
    Memory (RAM): 2047 MB
    CPU Info: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
    CPU Speed: 2908.2 MHz
    Sound card: SB Audigy Audio [CCC0]
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
    Screen Resolution: 1600 X 1200
    Network: Network Present
    Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/1000 MTW Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
    CD / DVD Drives: E: HL-DT-STCD-ROM GCR-8483B | F: SONY CDRW/DVD CRX330E |
    Default Printer: Acrobat Distiller
    COM Ports: COM1 | COM2 |
    LPT Ports: LPT1 |
    Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
    Hard Disks: C: 149.0GB | D: 372.6GB |
    Hard Disks - Free: C: 135.2GB | D: 360.3GB |
    USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
    Firewire (1394): Detected: 2 host controllers.
    PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
    Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    Product Make: Precision WorkStation 470
    AC Power Status: OnLine
    BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 05/18/05 | DELL - 7 | |
    Battery: No Battery
  2. AWBrown

AWBrown TS Rookie Topic Starter

So, I got the problem to stop - but now have a problem of avoiding it in the future.

I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and rebooted. It reinstalled the driver and the hanging, redraw and monitor problems went away, but if I change the setting to 1600 x 1200 [high color] the problem comes back.

Is the card bad?
  3. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,598

Is your monitor able to support 1600X1200, most LCD won't, but if you have a CRT you should be ok. Try reducing your refresh rate to 70Hz. Update your mobo chipset drivers.
  4. AWBrown

Thanks for the reply.

I have a CRT - a Dell M993s, which says it's optimal preset is 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz and highest preset resolution is 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz.

Even at the optimal, I'm getting the problems. It's only if I don't touch the setting, does it act normal.

I've never updated mobo chipset drivers. Is there a good guide you could point me to?
  5. Ruben

Ruben TS Rookie Posts: 105

just download file with drivers, save it on PC and execute it, same as with any driver really, nothing to be afraid of :D
    Bios flashing is bit more complex but no need for that right now.

If DELL is sayig that optimal setting 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz I would not go above this. puke: DELL is surprisingly well considering their lamest support and poor quality of CRT monitors. At least yours did not burn down fly back transformer 13 months after purchase.
  6. AWBrown

I updated my chipset drivers - no change.

If I uninstall the video driver and then reboot, my desktop will reset to 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz (ouch) but if I try to change the settings it goes nuts.

Dell is send me a new video card - after I install it I'll let you al know if it helped.
  7. Ruben

Ruben TS Rookie Posts: 105

fingers crossed!
  8. AWBrown

I installed the new card and everything seems great.

I'm still a little weary about reinstalling LogMeIn. But I kinda need it.

Thanks all!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.