Computer hangs, monitor goes to sleep when in games (+ new HDD)

treeski

Hey everyone...

I recently came to own (via a friend) a new 2TB WD HDD (used strictly for storage) and it's not playing nice with my setup.
The HDD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZCXK0I

For the most part, everything seems just fine when I have the HDD connected. I've transfered several GBs of data to and from with no issues. When I'm working on unrelated applications, it doesn't cause problems.

The only time my computer is unhappy is when I have the HDD connected and I boot into a game (like Dragon Age: Origins). When I do this, the monitor shuts goes into standby mode and is otherwise unresponsive. I have to force shut off the computer, and when I do, other issues ensue. The other issues include some messed up blocks of colors on the screen as well as blue screens. The only way to return my computer to a working condition is by doing a system restore.

After a system restore, everything is fine (even with the extra HDD connected) unless I attempt to get into a game.

When the HDD is disconnected, games work no problems.

I've read around and some people seem to suggest that the PSU isn't powerful enough, however I have a 1200W PSU, so that should be just fine.
Check out my system specs if you need other... system specs.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for your time!

This sounds like a driver issue. Have you updated either the BIOS or chipset drivers for your motherboard? USB drivers for mobo?

So simple a fix. I had never updated my motherboard's firmware... missed out on about 10 updates. I just flashed the MB and voila... all is well.

Thanks much...

Back