Computer hardware suggestions for gaming

M

MrBlkfx1

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this post is in the wrong threads.

Anyway, I'm looking to do some gaming, not really high graphic demanding games but decent. Id like for some good advice on hardware upgrades, Ive listed my system specs below. I think i need a new graphics card ,but im not sure seeing as Ive never play a game on this computer.

Motherboard: ASUStek Model:Salmon Chipset: HPSIS760 Anthlon 64
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+
Graphics Card: SIS 760
RAM:1.2GB

Let me know if any other information is needed to make the suggestions.

Assuming your PC has a PCI-Express slot you could upgrade the graphics but you may also need to upgrade your power supply and your CPU is pretty low end so you want to find a video card that would match the CPU.

What's your budget for upgrades? What games do you want to play?

Well what graphics card would you recommend for my CPU.

Power Supply : 250Watt Bestec ATX

I'm really only looking to spend nothing over 250$

And for Games, I'm not sure, Maybe COD or WOW not sure, Id like to run the games Pretty decently.

Thanks for the response HelloKitty[hk],

I was looking at the PSU and the graphics card u posted. Wouldn't i need a better PSU to run the SAPPHIRE 100284L, and will it work fine with my current CPU?

Well Then, Thank you ! Both things are within my budget. In which i will most likely buy unless something better comes along.

To anyone else who might reply to this thread, I'm still open to any other suggestions.

CPU + Mobo + RAM

GPU

PSU

If built yourself, there's a new system that will play some newer games on lowest settings. About the best you're going to do for your buck aside from scouring the internet for deals and waiting on new items to bring down prices.

From looking at your specs I get the feeling your using some old HP desktop (circa 2005?). If this is the case, can you let us know what specific model? Your PC does feel a bit dated to me and browsing around I get the feeling you might not have a PCIe slot but simply an AGP one. In laymans terms, a modern graphics card wont fit your motherboard.

As redk pointed out putting something together yourself might be a better deal since you have a dated system. If this is not something you want to do give us more info so we can find the best possible options for ya. Just don't expect to be playing modern games greatly with an older CPU and likely lower-end graphics card.

Well, from the looks of it i might as well just re-build my computer, in which i really only wanted to spend around 250$ but I'm sure i can expand my budget a bit more to around 400$

My board now lt looks like only supports AGP 8x compatible Graphics cards, :[ Lol. It seems ill have to spend more money then i expected. But here are the specs to my board

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&site=null&lang=en&key=null&product=501310

I was browsing that website you guys were referring parts from and i piece together this machine.
heres the parts i have so far

CASE
PSU&MOBO
CPU

Would this be a decent machine for gaming?

Yes Hellokitty lol i was just putting those parts up excluding the case because it seemed to be the most crucial for gaming capability :p

With what I posted, you should be able to salvage old parts if need be. At least until you can afford extras, like a new keyboard, mouse, disk drive, hard drive, etc.

Technically, he could just get a new PSU, he doesn't even need a new case unless I'm reading the form factor wrong.

But yeah, he 100% would need a new motherboard, ram, cpu, gpu and psu.

Yeah, Thanks Redk im going to just forget about upgrading my computer , im just going to build a entire new one. also i was going to reuse the necessary peripherals and salvage up the other hardware such as Hard drive and disk drive. Just want good dependable suggestions for the main hardware like the CPU and Graphics card. You both had some good suggestions which really helped me obtain an overall understanding of what i needed to play modern games.

With what I posted, you should be able to salvage old parts if need be. At least until you can afford extras, like a new keyboard, mouse, disk drive, hard drive, etc.
Nah, you'd need new RAM and an OS reinstall at least.

Yeah He sent me to a link which had i think 4gb ram for cheap, and i have a copy of Windows 7 and vista just waiting to be used.

Back