Computer heating problem slowing comp down

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpw

My cpu over heat when watcing video or movie it goes from 35-39c to 51c and start runing real slow and loud.rpms fan goes up to 3700 and some time it dont act during video but if i go in my document folder searching and on the net and chating on aim it does this get real loud and slow down but here some info

here my specs of my computer

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 511 MB
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2990.9 MHz
Sound card: C-Media Wave Device
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 16 bit
:
Network Adapters: ADMtek ADM8511 USB To Fast Ethernet Converter - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: TEAC DW-552G
:
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 74.5GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 7.8GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
:
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: P4IPE
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: ATAT COMPATIBLE 091004 A M I 9000410
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: soyocomputer P4IPE
Modem: Not detected

While i was doing stuff and my speedfan was reading this http://img405.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lklap7.png once stop what i was doing and just talking on aim and searching net it went to this and it was alot quieter. http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img96/5579/oijiua3.png

everest shows

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)
Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures
Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)
CPU 49 °C (120 °F)
Aux 18 °C (64 °F)
WDC WD800JB-00JJA0 36 °C (97 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3516 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.23 V
Aux 1.54 V
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 5.11 V
+12 V 12.22 V
+5 V Standby 4.92 V
VBAT Battery 2.05 V

my battery supply is this
Lc-b350atx

voltage v-115v ,input 230v
current v-8a ,input 4a
frequency 60hz-50hz

v=== +3.3 voltage,-5v/-12/+5vsb current/ ps-on/pik/com
output 28a/35a/16a voltage , 0.3a/0.8a/2a, frequency remote /pg/return
max 200w/192w voltage,15w/9.6/10w
330w

+5v & + 3.3v combine 200w max = s&3.3v & +12v
co,bined 330w max. total out put 350w MAX

see if you can check what your CPU temperature is when watching movies or something. I know you said, 51C, but is that the highest it goes, or what it is when you randomly check it.

I recommend that you actually stress the computer, and read the highest temperature it actually goes to.

Also, for a processor this new, doing what you mentioned shouldn't be stressing the CPU much at all. I'm thinking you might have some other processes running.

BTW, thats a great first post.

Simple question, have you cleaned out the dust and crap out of your pc tower with an air hose/compressed air duster yet?

Lets start with that first. Check your temps after doing so. Don't forget the heatsinks..

ok.. with the tower clean, lets try and find out the cause of the heat. There are three general areas you should look at:

1. Airflow: Is there enough fans to push air in and out, as well as space inside the case to move around in? This relates to having tidied and tied up cables to maximise the airflow inside the case.

Open the side of your case and see if that improves the temps. If you want to use a desk fan as well, do so and check temps.

2. The Room/environment: Self explanitory. If you lived in the sahara desert and its mid-day without an air con, your pc would reflect the surrounding environment, but i don't think this is your case.

3. CPU Fan: There are times when your current stock cooler won't cut it anymore, which means an upgrade to your CPU HSF. Most aftermarket units will give you a much better cooling, but do remember that its tied to how efficient your airflow is to begin with. That and there's water coolers.

Other than that, as a Prescott chip (which i think you have) 50'c isn't too bad, and your other temps and voltages are fine.

AT a maximum of 51c, I doubt that heat is the cause of the problem you report. That is well within the normal range.

Assuming it is a 6xx series processor which is the same as i have 51c is nothing on the stock cooler I had it up to 70c after putting on an after market solution it peaks at 60c also overclocked 20%. Your CPU voltage seems low however, should be 1.4v granted it is a 6xx series chip, check your task manager to see how much your actually using of your cpu percentage wise, apart from that that is no where near hot for a 6xx series not sure about the 5xx series.

I really think that he should be doing a virus scan. There must be much more going on for the comp to be running slow while watching movies.

Unless the 6xx series is just so crap that it can't even handle video playback.

Hi,I have a asus board too with a prescott 3:0 gig and It sounds like a chip overheating problem to me.Open your computer case while testing under stress touch all the chips on your board and see if one or more is getting hot,dont forget to check your memory chips too.It helped me with mine that I stuck chipset coolers on the southbridge chipset.Also if there are not no hot chips then change the cooler paste between the northbridge chip and the northbridgechip cooler.Could be the grafic card chip getting too hot too,changing the the thermal paste wouldnt be a bad ideal either while your at it.Its just something I would do, hope it helps :)

raybay said:
Which it can.

Ya the 6xx series surely can handle video playback, except for hd dvd rip playback.

As far as the heat problem try running with the side of your case off if you don't already have an array of fans creating sufficient airflow through your case. Apart from that try any and all virus, malicious software and add aware scans you can you could always have a bug somewhere, cleaning the registry also can help if you've been installing and uninstalling a lot lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back