Computer Help - Lost my desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the other day I was on my computer and realized that my antivirus had run out. I went and downloaded AVG Free off of their website. Towards the end of the download my computer like froze up so I shut it down and restarted it. It wouldn't turn on properly so I left it alone and hoped it would go back to normal the next day. Yesterday I turned it on and it said it needed to repair my computer or something when I was booting it so I said okay. It did that then restarted. The home page came up fine but I couldn't move my mouse or click anything, it's like it was frozen again. I shut it off again and turned it on and it still isn't working. I did it again and it loads up fine. The Windows Vista Home Premium logo thing comes up but now there's just like a black screen.

I can shut it off and turn it on again but the same thing will happen or it will turn on but now allow me to move the mouse/click anything. Did I get a virus or something? Or is there something wrong with my hard drive?

I booted into safe mode and did a system restore to before I downloaded AVG but the same thing still happens.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Could somebody please help me..

On another forum I frequent I got this reply -

I just worked on a WinXP machine with much the same problem (user had run AVG and lost their desktop). Not sure if the same solution would work or not.

I downloaded Malware Bytes and SuperAntispyware and burnt them to a CD.

Then, I booted the computer and got to the blue screen. I hit CTRL + ALT +DEL and brought up Task Manager. Clicked NEW TASK at the upper left of the TaskManager screen and a "run" box dropped down. Hit the browse button and it allowed me to navigate through folders.

I browsed to the CD, selected Malware bytes then hit OK a few times and the setup routine started and Malwarebytes installed and ran allowing me to do a full scan.

I repeated the same process with SuperAntiSpyware.

Machine rebooted and I was back at the desktop and everything was fine.
I'm going to try this, any other suggestions?

Okay, thank you very much. I will try those steps now. :)

Well I booted into safe mode but it won't allow me to connect to the internet =/

When I started up my computer I ran startup repair but that didn't do anything either.

Sorry about the double-posting. I did the checkdisk as you posted and checked "Automatically Fix File System Errors." I then restarted computer and it checked my hard disk. After that it loaded up the computer normally, it displayed the windows vista logo as it was starting up but after that, where my desktop is supposed to show up, it doesn't. There's just a blank black screen with my mouse pointer as had happened before.

Okay, no problem. So should I go back into safe mode, uninstall avg from add/remove prog, and then run diskcheck again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back