Computer Illeterate needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I have a virus but I am lost on what to do. Here is that I tried.

I am running Windows XP Home. I run SAV as my Anti-Virus software. When I was running my antivirus, I was getting error 1304 - cannot write to VPTRAY - make sure you have access. My AV would then stop and try to install. When I tried to run CCleaner, it will not open. Same goes for Spybot. When I attempted to run the computer in safe mode, I recieved a blue screen stating that my computer was shutting down with a Technical error of STOP: 0X00000073. I couldn't even open it in safe mode. Since I use my computer for work, I am now stuck. Can any one help me out?

try this

Try to uninstall then re-install your anti-virus application. Defrag your disk as well. Once you do that post back.

I uninstalled the software. When I tried to reinstall. I get this error

Error.1304 Error writing to file C:\Program Files\Common files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
Verify that you have access to that directory

Defrag is running still.

when you uninstall the software, be sure that there are no residual files left in the Program Files folder as well as make sure that the registry is completely clean of all SAV files. Then try to reinstall and all should install smoothly. When SAV is installed, it runs 3 or 4 processes in your task manager so dont get to trigger happy on the uninstall/deletion/remove from startup options because that can cause you to have problems with your SAV. Hope that helped a lil bit at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back