Computer in some sort of coma. Motherboard or CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
My PC froze up the otherday and then when I tried to restart it, it would start loading and then just freeze when the Windows XP screen with the blue bar was up. Then it wouldn't start at all sometimes, so id wait and then the same thing would happen with the freezing and now I can't get anything at all on the monitor.
Ok, so when I turn on the computer, the my case fan, CPU fan and Power supply fan all work. My HDD light comes on at the front of the PC but I don't hear any beeps at all from the POST. It sounds as if everything is running but nothing comes up on screen (Checked monitor and it is fine) I checked my HDD's on a differant system and they both work fine so it cant be them. From the research I've done i believe it is either the motherboard or powersupply but im not sure either way.
I was running a P4 3.2 or 3.02 on a Foxconn motherboard with socket 478.
I have a 450w powersupply. I've also tried unplugging everything (HDD's, DVD Burner, video card, RAM) and then putting them back in in differant combinations or not at all, but still nothing works.
If anyone could give me some ideas or advice, or anything! It would really be appreciated!
Thanks alot,
-Fb

I had the same problem when I had some memory go bad. Run memtest86 overnight and see if that is the issue.

unfortunately I cant run the program as the system im using at the moment, the one i checked the hdd's on doesnt support ddr ram. and the busted system certainly wont run it :(
Also I tested the power supply on my other pc and it runs fine. So my problem is either the motherboard, cpu or memory.
Just wondering whether anyone can confirm which one. I'm getting no beeps at all from the motherboard which suggests that the motherboards gone..

Can anyone confirm? Thanks

Yep,had the same problem,is the HDD light staying on.Turned out to be a memory problem(wrong settings),the memory was ok though.I reset the CMOS and everything was back to normal.If you've got two sticks of memory try them one at a time,you may also have to reset the CMOS.

me too same problem

Hi ,
i switched my pc normally , next day onwards , my pcs is unable to boot .
nothing is seen on the screen.

i have checked monitor and hard disks using other pc they are fine .

i do not know whether it is Mother board problem or powersuppy problem or some thing else .

please do share your ideas on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back