Computer information Gatherer

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

I had a simple question that can hopefully get answered very swiftly. I can't remember the name of a utility that people post here and on other tech forums all the time. The program gathers all the system information, including processes running and plenty of other detailed information about the computer.

I'm sure it's a simple answer, so if anyone can please post the name of the program I would be very appreciative.

Technically that will work, but I know there are programs out there that will "gather" the information into a document for reading for free. My friend doesn't know enough and sure doesn't want to pay for SIW just to save some simple information.

I've seen people post the "results" in text form on this and other tech sites, so I'm sure someone knows what I'm talking about. Any other suggestions.

You are welcome, what you are expecting or rather suspecting to find with it? If you need any help let us know. Regards

Not expecting anything in particular. To sum it up, a friend got a virus/spyware/adware/etc and had her computer sent off. It was sent back with the "obvious" problems fixed. But now she has no internet connection. I went through all the basic and/or most of the advanced settings for setting up a network connection to her router with no luck. So now I'm wondering if it may still be running, just partially disabled. It's 5AM... my grammar isn't the best.

That is alright, I think it would be more appropriate to have a try to crack it later on once you have much needed Zzz.

Technically that will work, but I know there are programs out there that will "gather" the information into a document for reading for free. My friend doesn't know enough and sure doesn't want to pay for SIW just to save some simple information.
The "Standalone English Version" of SIW >>IS<< Freeware. It will also tell you ten times more about your computer than "Hijack This" ever will.

"Hijack This" addresses itself to running processes and is a valuable tool in this regard toward diagnosing malware issues, but it isn't anything that you asked for. This;
The program gathers all the system information, including processes running and plenty of other detailed information about the computer.
is what you asked for.

Since you're posting from Kentucky, I'm going to make a great leap of faith, and assume that English would be your preferred language for a computer program.

At least do me the courtesy of reading my post, and the linked page thoroughly, before running your mouth.

The "Standalone English Version" of SIW >>IS<< Freeware. It will also tell you ten times more about your computer than "Hijack This" ever will.

"Hijack This" addresses itself to running processes and is a valuable tool in this regard toward diagnosing malware issues, but it isn't anything that you asked for. This; is what you asked for.

Since you're posting from Kentucky, I'm going to make a great leap of faith, and assume that English would be your preferred language for a computer program.

At least do me the courtesy of reading my post, and the linked page thoroughly, before running your mouth.

I'm not here to argue. I went to the site and clicked on the download link that said it was the standalone English version. After I downloaded it I went to the top to save the information in a text document and it said that I have to buy it. I'm not buying something just so I can save the information. It is $60 to buy, if you want to buy it for me feel free to give me the registration code.

I'm not the actual one that needs it, it's a friend that needs to send me the information.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to call this thread closed.

I'm not here to argue. I went to the site and clicked on the download link that said it was the standalone English version. After I downloaded it I went to the top to save the information in a text document and it said that I have to buy it. I'm not buying something just so I can save the information. It is $60 to buy, if you want to buy it for me feel free to give me the registration code.

I'm not the actual one that needs it, it's a friend that needs to send me the information.

Now if you don't mind I'm going to call this thread closed.
The standalone English version is Free, I just downloaded 4 copies.

Since you insist that it's not, one might suppose that you actually are here to argue.

OK. I think i can help clarify the misunderstanding....

The tool is free to download and run. However, if you want to save the information gathered into a report: it's free to save the report as XML but i believe you must buy a copy to save in other formats.

The tool is free to download and run. However, if you want to save the information gathered into a report: it's free to save the report as XML but i believe you must buy a copy to save in other formats.
Oh well, then perhaps I should have linked screen capture software as well. SIW isn't something you need to run every other day,

Oh well, then, perhaps I should have linked screen capture software as well.

Yeah, totally. 50 Screenshots isn't bad to save all that information either is it? Especially if your like most people with async internet connections with like 5kB upload speed.

Good thinking my kind sir, good thinking.

Oh and did I mention that the person that needs to send me the information is "a little slow" in computers. She won't know what to screen shot and having her do that is a pain and isn't worth the time.

At least do me the courtesy of reading my post, and the linked page thoroughly, before running your mouth..

How about you just leave before I make you look any worse.

Oh and did I mention that the person that needs to send me the information is "a little slow" in computers. She won't know what to screen shot and having her do that is a pain and isn't worth the time.
Funny how you come here for help, yet it would be too much of a pain to help your friend. Screen Cap software is freely available and no one should really be without it. It has uses such as saving log in info screens, temporary invoices, and such, saving an Email in jpeg.

How about you just leave before I make you look any worse.
Well "kingy", or should I call you Mr. Kingy, how is it exactly you think you've made me look bad in the first place?

Funny how you come here for help, yet it would be too much of a pain to help your friend. Screen Cap software is freely available and no one should really be without it. It has uses such as saving log in info screens, temporary invoices, and such, saving an Email in jpeg.
I know you think your big and bad because you have your whopping 3k posts, but really it doesn't give you the right to come in my post and disrespect me, I did nothing to disrespect you. She is lazy, I know her, and she won't want to take 50 screenshots and upload them, question answered. Why would I try and make her do that anyway when I know there are other FREE programs that will save the information (much easier than SIW) the same way as SIW paid will.

Well "kingy", or should I call you Mr. Kingy, how is it exactly you think you've made me look bad in the first place?
My online nickname is King, so call me what you wish, it's only a name. If you haven't noticed I tried to point out that it doesn't save in text document format to begin with, but you insisted on arguing about "it's free," although I already pointed out that I know that part. I know it's free, I knew it's free, but you wouldn't open your mind enough to recognize what I was saying.

Now once again, feel free to turn around and leave the same way you came in, by a click of a button.

Both of You, Listen Up.....

I know you think your big and bad because you have your whopping 3k posts, but really it doesn't give you the right to come in my post and disrespect me, I did nothing to disrespect you. She is lazy, I know her, and she won't want to take 50 screenshots and upload them, question answered. Why would I try and make her do that anyway when I know there are other FREE programs that will save the information (much easier than SIW) the same way as SIW paid will.

Now once again, feel free to turn around and leave the same way you came in, by a click of a button.

The >free< "English Standalone Version" of SIW, will also save in HTML. Now HTML can be opened with any browser. I simply don't understand how it could be easier, or dumbed down any more than this; it's free, and you can save a useable, easily opened file to view the results. Oh, and you can work offline with a web browser.

The only thing that's been said that I agree with so far, is that it isn't worth $60.00 just to have a text file. HTML is just as portable, and I sincerely doubt that web browsers will disappear in the near future.

So, save the HTML file to the desktop, then use file> open on your web browser to open it. Opening a file that you know its location really shouldn't be beyond any computer owners abilities. If it is, that's tragic, but not my problem.

The >free< "English Standalone Version" of SIW, will also save in HTML. Now HTML can be opened with any browser. I simply don't understand how it could be easier, or dumbed down any more than this; it's free, and you can save a useable, easily opened file to view the results. Oh, and you can work offline with a web browser.

So, save the HTML file to the desktop, then use file> open on your web browser to open it. Opening a file that you know its location really shouldn't be beyond any computer owners abilities. If it is, that's tragic, but not my problem.

I'm glad your done ranting because this thread has been over for forever, but thanks for participating. I'll be on my way now with hijackthis. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back