Computer Intermittently Refuses to Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a machine that I hand built myself and has been working fine for 4 years. All of a sudden I have had a series of problems that has gotten progressively worse. The first symptom is that the monitor would not show anything even if the computer was turned on. This would happen intermittently; other times, it would take a lot longer for the opening screen to appear. My first suspicion was the monitor itself or the section of the motherboard that works with the monitor port.

Now the computer won't even boot into BIOS. You can hear the computer going through the sequence of checking the different media drives but nothing else happens. The funny part is that about every 10th try of turning the computer off and back on, the computer will operate normally.

Any idea what could be causing this? It is an Intel Pentium 4 with an Intel motherboard, three hard drives, a CD-RW and a DVD writer, a floppy drive, and about 768 MB of RAM.

Well I tried your suggestion and it worked. The only thing I have to figure out now is why one of my hard drives isn't working--it is attached to a digital thermostat that also is not working. However, in comparison to before, that's minor.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back