TechSpot

computer is constantly restarting

By Brownie2k
Mar 9, 2009
  1. Hi guys, this is my first post, and i'm at a loss as what i should do with my home-made computer.

Yesterday i bought the parts for a custom home-made computer, these parts being:

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
    8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 OCZ Memory
    1TB 7200rpm HDD
    ATi Radeon HD 4870 x2 2GB
    Gigabyte motherboard EX58-UD4
    850W PSU

I've set everything up correctly, making sure everything is wired properly and no exposed ends are anywhere near the motherboard. Problem is, when i plug in the 8pin adapter on the motherboard, my computer is constantly restarting, when i turn it on the CPU Fan will spin, the LED's will come on, then 2 seconds later, it'll all go off, it'll then continue doing this untill i turn the PSU off at the back.
    The wierd thing is, when i remove the 8-pin adapter, the computer will start up no problem, but i see nothing on my monitor at all. I also hear no HDD activity (there is no windows on the HDD, but surely i should hear some activity).
    When i plug the 4-pin adapter in, the computer will no start at all.

I'm wondering if i have a powerfull enough PSU for my setup, and if i do, have i got a bad PSU? I've ruled out the graphics card and HDD as problems, and i've tried with only 1 stick of memory, but it still does the same thing.

I really dont know what to do here, it's not the first computer i've built, not by a long way, but this has me totally confused now.

Hopefully someone could possibly help me here!

Thanks a lot guys! :)

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

What brand and model of power supply do you have?

3. BorisandBailey

BorisandBailey TS Enthusiast Posts: 206

Usually anything from 450-watts and higher for most computers should do the trick, so there is the possibility of a faulty power supply.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.