Computer is really slow after starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshogan07

Hello

I am having a problem with my computer. After i turn it on and it start ups and goes though everything is just stops or takes forever to do anything. I had a problem with the blue screen and after i went out and read all over the internet on how to fix that. I put my OS in and repaired it. Which got rid of the blue screen now i have this new problem.

I start my computer type my password and let it load. After a couple of minutes when i try to do anything it freezes. I can move the mouse around and that's about it. I click on anything and nothing happens. When i go to my toolbar the hour glass pops up and i can't click on anything. I really don't want to lose all my pic, music and movies. I really don't know what to do so can any one help me please.

Thanks
Frankie

This could be due to infection. I suggest you go to our Virus and Malware forum, read the UPDATED 8 Step sticky, follow it step by step and post there the three required logs after you finish.

Clearly, you have some kind of corruption. As Roue44 points out, you need to fuirst remove any malware and then fix any leftover corruption.

Do you have another user account you can switch to? Sometimes the corruption is limited to your user account. If you can boot into another account and the symptoms do not appear, that proves it's limited to the user account. You then create a new user account and copy your files and settings over.

-- Andy

Ok the problems is i can't do anything. I can not run a scan or do anything. Once the computer starts i can move the mouse around and click stuff but nothing opens up. I don't know what to do since i can't click on anything or open anything

Have you tried Safe Mode? See if that is better.

Also, you can try this. Once you first reach the Desktop but before everything loads, launch the MS System Configuration Utility as fast as possible, disable all startup programs and restart the computer. it could be one of the startup programs is corrupted. again, you need to move fast on startup to do this.

To access MS System Configuration Utility and disable startup programs:

Start -> Run -> msconfig -> Startup -> Disable All -> OK

-- Andy

Try to get an updated copy of MBAM and boot to Safe Mode w/ networking so you can pull your AntiVirus' updated definition files. Run your scans from Safe Mode and hopefully you can eliminate whatever bug is causing your system problems.

ok booted in safe mode and i can use the computer. then i restarted and run my scan. I use AVG pro. I also have spybot search and destroy. So i'm going to run them and see what i get. I will let you know what happens.

I'd also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntispyware. You sound like you have multiple infections. For spyware, you need to run multiple AS to get it all.

-- Andy

OK I got on in safe mode but i can't run any virus or any kind of scan on that computer. I rebooted it in normal mode and just locks up. I disabled everything and it still freezes up. So i just rebooted in safe mode with networking and i'm going to try to get on that computer and download some malware and spyware things from this site and see what i get.

Yeah that is what i'm thinking. How would i go about getting all my personal files off of it to do so?

OK i can run the other programs in safe mode except superantispyware. So i'm going to run them and then post my HijackThis here and let me know what you think.

You don't need to backup your personal files, altough that's always a good idea. You can re-install just Windows and it will leave your personals files untouched. Again, it is best to backup personal files anyway.

let's see if we can save your current installation first.

-- Andy

Ok i just rebooted it into normal mode and one things keeps popping up that AVG was closed because of some error. Doesn't say why that is what it says. I ran the CCleaner and the anti spy and i have the Hijackthis file. So i'm going to get it posted and let me know what you think.

First, are things better? Have some of the symptoms disappeared? Did you disable all startup programs?

You'll need to re-install the AVG.

-- Andy

Not really still doing the same things. it works a lot better in safe mode then it does in regular. I'm trying to reinstall AVG or going to go get a free one to do just until everything is up and running.

After a couple of mins of scanning it locks up and can't do anything. So i'm going to try again with the scan. Wish me

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:03:41 PM, on 9/29/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18813)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://search.live.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://www.bankofamerica.com/index.jsp
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = plimus.com,www.plimus.com,regnow.com,www.regnow.com,;*.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - *{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: MSN Toolbar Helper - {d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f} - C:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.1203.0\msneshellx.dll
O2 - BHO: Ask Toolbar BHO - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN Toolbar - {1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414} - C:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.1203.0\msneshellx.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Dictionary.com Toolbar - {D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - C:\Program Files\Ask.com\GenericAskToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [CleanSetup] cmd /C rmdir /S /Q "C:\Users\Frankie\AppData\Local\Temp\nro.tmp\"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Trillian.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O16 - DPF: {588031A3-94BF-4CDD-86D0-939F6F93910F} (FixItClient Class) - https://fixit.support.microsoft.com/ActiveX/FixItClient.CAB
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_11) -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0011-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_11) -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Plug-in 1.6.0_11) -
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} -
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll acaptuser32.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 Firewall (avgfws8) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgfws8.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Crypkey License - CrypKey (Canada) Ltd. - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\crypserv.exe
O23 - Service: dlcx_device - - C:\Windows\system32\dlcxcoms.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe

--
End of file - 8256 bytes

I haven seen any information at all about the computer you're using (Make, Model, Type), what the operating system is, how much RAM you have. IT would be difficult to troubleshoot without some or all of this information.

Please be advised that Safe Mode with Networking does not load any off the security programs.:

Boot into Safe Mode
  • Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
  • Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

If a symptom does not reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and minimum device drivers as possible causes. If a newly added device or a changed driver is causing problems, you can use safe mode to remove the device or reverse the change.

Using Safe Mode to determine a basic source of a problem:The choices:
  • Safe Mode: Loads the minimum set of device drivers (serial or PS/2 mouse devices, standard keyboards, hard disks, CD-ROM drives, and standard VGA devices)and system services required to start Windows XP/2000/2003.(Event Log, Plug and Play, remote procedure calls (RPCs), and Logical Disk Manager.) User specific startup programs do not run. This is helpful in determining whether problems are due to specific programs.
  • Safe Mode with Networking: Includes the services and drivers needed for network connectivity. Safe mode with networking enables logging on to the network, logon scripts, security, and Group Policy settings. Nonessential services and startup programs not related to networking do not run. Helpful if needed but should be used with caution as the security programs don't load in this mode.
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt: Starts the computer in safe mode, but displays the command prompt rather than the Windows GUI interface.
  • Last Known Good Configuration, which starts your computer using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.

So by using the different options of Safe Mode, you can sometimes determine what the area of problem is- and isn't.

window vista home
amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor
2 gb ram

looking at my hijackthis you have any idea what is wrong with it?

What's encouraging fshogan07 is that you stated your system is more stable in Safe Mode. This means it's more than likely we can save your installation.

I didn't see any mention of you running Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware in Safe Mode. Have you run them yet?

-- Andy

What's encouraging fshogan07 is that you stated your system is more stable in Safe Mode. This means it's more than likely we can save your installation.

I didn't see any mention of you running Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware in Safe Mode. Have you run them yet?

-- Andy

I've tried but it freezes up. I started to do it in normal mode and tried to do to much at once. So i'm going ot run them one by one in normal then see what i get.

If they froze in Safe Mode, then they will very likely freeze in Normal Mode.

I'm ready to throw the towel in on saving your installation. We can re-install Windows "in-place" (no reformat) so your personal files will be safe. Let me know if you want to go this route now. It's guaranteed to work but you will have to re-install device drivers and programs.

-- Andy

Right now i'm ready just to get my computer back up and running. I use this computer for everything and use my laptop when i'm on the go. So i really need this one up. I have school projects on it and everything that i need. So let me know what do to so i can go though and get this thing working.

Prepare to Re-install Windows

Well, if you need it up and running guaranteed, then a Windows "in-place" re-installation is the best route to go.

A quick note before we get started. You mentioned you depend on your computer for school. I push my customers who depend on their computers for school or work, to get an image backup utility. These utilities take what are called "disk images" which basically means you take a "snapshot" of the entire hard drive. The snapshot is everything (Windows, programs, personal files, the file system, ... EVERYTHING!) I call it "disk cloning". You then save the image somewhere. In the event something like this happens, you restore a previous disk image when everything worked and PRESTO you're back in action like nothing ever happened! And it's fast, takes less than an hour. The one I recommend is Acronis True Image. In fact, we should "image" your hard drive before we do anyting to ensure you don't lose any information.

Before we get started, here's everything you need:

• Windows Vista Home Premium (or Basic) Installation DVD
  • CDs/DVDs for all Important Programs You Use
  • Acronis True Image 2009 (or 2010 if the store has it now)
  • Blank DVDs or an External Hard Drive

Acronis True Image can be bought at any computer franchise store (Staples, BestBuy, ... ) It's $60. We will first image your hard drive. Then we will re-install Windows "in-place". Then re-install all your programs. Then we will complete settings. Then we will setup Acronis so you can take weekly images.

Get back when you have everything.

-- Andy

I was going to go out this weekend and get the external hard drive. Do you think we can just re-install windows first and then set up that up when i get everything. I put the disk in and told my computer to boot from disk and it just shows a black screen with the loading bar at the bottom. It just says there.

I was hoping to image you hard drive first so that if you *uck up on the Windows re-install and erase all your files, there's a backup.

This computer is for school and you have valuable files on it. They need to be backed up first.

-- Andy

Is there a way to back up my computer onto my laptop? That way i can just put the info on here until i get a back up of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back