Computer is ridiculously loud

Jskid

The new computer has an Antec 900 case with a side fan, top fan and rear fan. In the bios settings there are options to change the
  • CPU q-fan control
  • CPU fan speed low limit
  • CPU profile
  • Chasis q fan control
  • Chasis low limit
  • Chasis profile

And possibly more. The power supply makes a high pitched noise even when the machine is off.

The options you are offered are not likely to deal with the fan noise. I would replace the fan as soon as possible. No properly working power supply or case fan will make any significant noises. If it is merely a fan, you can usually replace them for a low price, usually not more than $10 or $12. You can usually disconnect the fan power cable for a short time without risking major troubles. That way, you can test to be sure the noise is from the fan, and not a more serious problem.
Good luck. Please let us know the final diagnosis.

If the PSU is making noise when its off, replace it like the first guy said.

May want to raise the temp thresholds in the bios where the fans ramp up to 100% too.

This whole system is brand new.
  • LG GH22NS70 SATA 22x multi drive
  • Corsair CMPSU 600CX V2 Power supply
  • Antec Nine Hundreed Gamer Case
  • Intel Core i5 2500k
  • Cooler Master 120mm Cooling Fan - Red
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz ram
  • Segate 1TB harddrive
  • Asus P8Z68-V LE mobo
  • Galaxy Geforce 4 Fermi video card

I had the buissness ship it to another city and it would be hard to physically return the system.

The problem seems to be that all the fans are always one full speed. Also the fan on the graphics card (which is detachable) is very close to the fan for the power supply. Could the fans be forcing the air in oppsoite directions and creating a problem?

You have one of the best power supplies available anywhere, and there is very little chance that some other company makes one better at a reasonable price.
That noise problem is worrisome, and you need to figger out what it is before you ruin something... but I don't have a clue as to what it might be

I do know that we have installed 133 Corsair power supplies similar or identical to that one... and have never had a noise problem.

Unless it was dropped, abused, or has had something fall into it through the screen, the problem is elsewwere. Any one skilled enough to assemble those components should be able to track down the problem. Go to it.

Congratulations for having put together a fine system.

The problem seems to be that all the fans are always one full speed.

Are the fans Molex connectors? If so, they only provide power to the fan...not fan speed control. You will either need a fan controller or use the fan speed switch to manually adjust them. You can also buy/add 3pin and 4pin fans that will be controllable.

Are the fans Molex connectors? If so, they only provide power to the fan...not fan speed control. You will either need a fan controller or use the fan speed switch to manually adjust them. You can also buy/add 3pin and 4pin fans that will be controllable.
The Antec 900 comes with 3 "Antec Tri-Cool" fans. There are speed switches extending from the fans. They are shipped on "medium" setting. You have to go inside the case to access them. However, I don't perceive of these fans as particularly noisy. If you like, set them to low. If you game heavily, best bet is to suffer through the noise.

Depending on the mobo, you may be able to use at least one PWM case fan, which will respond to need via the board's sensors

None of this takes into account the fan noise from the video card, or the CPU cooler.

And possibly more. The power supply makes a high pitched noise even when the machine is off.

The PSU is bad, very, very, bad. Usually when they get to that point, they may not restart...or possibly destroy the mobo.

Apperantly it's called a coil wine and it's a known aspect (though not deffect) of Corsair PSU. It's not very loud, the fans are what creates quite a bit of noise.

Apperantly it's called a coil wine and it's a known aspect (though not deffect) of Corsair PSU. It's not very loud, the fans are what creates quite a bit of noise.
You say "aspect", I say "design defect", tomato, to-mah-to.....

If they whine normally, what do they do when they fail altogether? Hm, let's ask Leeky...

We have 17 Corsair 600 watt power supplies in stock. Tested them all inside a computer case setup to run after reading some of these posts.. We detected no "whine" in these 17. Sell a lot of them in repair machines and new builds. We have had no customer complaints of noise or whine.
We use the CX600 CMPSU-600, Cx430, CMPSU-1200AX, AX1200, TX850, TX650, AX650, HS650W with nary a problem and nary a return. We think they are good for our repair and install business, and good for our clients.

This reported noisy one should be considered an anomaly.

According to Google Corsair is notorious for whining PSUs.
I guessing this may be subjective, depending on how much of someone's high frequency hearing they've blown out with their iPod.....
...[ ]... "coil wine"...[ ].....
Anyway, I say enough of this bickering, and vote we all settle it with a nice cool glass of ...(wait for it)......"Coil Wine".... :rolleyes: :haha:

Back