Computer keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer keeps crashing every 15-30 minutes or so no matter what program i am running:(

it just freezes and it just doesn't react."Ctrl, alt , del", alt+tab ... nothing works!!!!
all i can do is hold the power button and restart it.

I wondered whether it is hardware or software. I tried a virus scan but it crashes and there isn't enough time for it to complete the scan.

My laptop is a Dell XPS 1530, it has an intel core 2 duo with 2 GB RAM
Windows Vista

Does your system crash in Safe Mode? You can run virus scans under this mode.

Are you getting Blue Screens of Death (BSODs) that tell you Windows needs to shut down, etc.?

No BSODs, it just freezesd. no reactions no matter what application i am on.
I tried going onto safemode but yes it does crash. I tried virus scan under safe mode but it still crashes.

Okay, let's begin with one of the best standard diagnostic steps avaliable by runing Memtest on your RAM. The good thing about this test is that it takes over almost immediately after you boot up; well before the Windows load screen appears.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* The thing you are looking for is Errors (if any) and the number of Passes which, again, needs to be at least 7. Get back to us with your results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back