Computer keeps crashing

By drc89
May 18, 2009
  1. My computer keeps on crashing and don't really know why. The computer is kind of old but is mostly used for insurance verification in my office. It runs on windows xp professional service pack three with a pentium 4 processor 2.0GHz 512MB RAM. I have enclosed the minidumps of the last three recent crashes.
  2. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

The minidumps reveal
    I would recommend...
    1. Run ChkDsk (windows utility, may be run from teh command line... Start -> Run -> chkdsk
    2. Get and run memtest... will require a minimum of 7 full passes, 8 tests per pass... If you start getting errors, you may as well stop, then remove your ram for testing one stick at a time. See Here ...
    3. Visit the Virus and Malware board, to check for infections... pay close attention to the first three notes by Julio on this page...
    if you decide to clean, follow very carefully the instructions on this page...
    if you find virus or malware infections, start a new thread there, and let us know here what you are doing.

Otherwise, we'll look for your update here.
  3. drc89

drc89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey, sorry I couldn't answer you earlier but I am preparing for a trip. Thanks for the reply I will try to do these things as soon as I can and will keep you updated on the situation.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.