Computer keeps freezing (with an audible click)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, this is my first post, so I hope it's in the right forum ... apologies if not!

My dad gave me his computer a couple of months back. Until last week it was working very well, then suddenly it started freezing inexplicably, with a small click from inside the computer case as it happened. Sometimes it works for up to an hour before it happens, at other times it can be 5 minutes or so. It happens whether or not the internet / printer is connected.
Ctrl+Alt+Del has no effect and I am forced to manually switch off then on again. This usually works, but sometimes, instead of a normal start, I get a black screen saying 'System Boot Failure. Please insert system disk' - I don't have this.
I can have a word with the IT guys at work next week, but am happy to try out DIY repairs if this may be feasible. I'm no expert, but can follow (most) instructions!

PC spec = Athlon Socket A Motherboard
AMD Athlon 900Mhz CPU
128Mb PC133 HP SDRAM
30Gb Ultra DMA HDD
Creative SB Live 1024(OEM) Sound Card
32Mb Geforce2 MX SDR graphics
Windows XP

I would be really grateful if anyone out there could make any suggestions ... maybe this is a common problem ... maybe not!

Thank you :wave:

Judith

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds like it might be a problem with the hard drive. I suggest you backup your important data ASAP just in case the hard drive fails altogether.

Check out these hard drive utilities HERE. Test your hard drive. Maybe try a different ide cable.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for that.
I've tried chkdsk and the Hitachi site, but nothing has worked yet. Have just defragged disk, but still doesn't be up to much. Will take it into work with me tomorrow ...

Judith

I only said it might be a hard drive problem.

If you could try and isolate where the click is coming from, it would help a great deal.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for that, Howard. I took the computer in to work today and they echoed your thoughts that it's probably the HD ...
I'm definitely out of my IT comfort zone now, so I'll keep smiling at the network bods!!!

Thanks again for your advice, Judith

I agree, its your hard drive, it is crucial you back up anything important on it now. The good thing is that hard drives are cheap, so aside from reinstalling your OS and programs you aren't in too bad of shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back