End of an era: The last two print computer magazines just pressed their last issues

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Magazines are so retro: If you are anything like me, you probably remember the days when you subscribed to multiple computing magazines. I still have fond memories of typing out the computer programs in the back pages of some publications; I even submitted a few of my own.

When high-speed internet came along, many computing publications began producing digital versions of their magazines online. Those with subscriptions still got their physical copies, but the online component was a nice perk for when readers could not just pick up a magazine and start reading, like at work.

Before long, most computing magazines had online versions and, at some point, started ditching paper. It was easier and cheaper to publish one copy that all subscribers could access online rather than printing hundreds of thousands of physical versions.

Eventually, the crowd of print magazines was whittled down to just two in the United States according to Harry McCracken – Maximum PC and MacLife. Unfortunately, the publications have decided to pull the plugs on their presses. The April editions of both magazines will be their last physical copies, officially ending the era of print computing journalism.

Maximum PC and MacLife began life in 1996 under the names Boot and MacAddict, respectively. Boot changed its name with the September 1998 issue of Maximum PC. MacAddict held on to its monicker until 2007, becoming MacLife as of that year's February issue.

The demise of print media in the computing industry was inevitable. By the 2000s, many prominent magazines had shut down their printing arms and switched to digital only. Byte stopped printing in 1998. Windows Magazine crashed in 2002, and the succinctly titled PC Magazine (now PCMag) published its last issue in 2009. Computer Gaming World went entirely out of business with its November 2006 issue.

Technologizer editor Harry McCracken said that while the writing was on the wall, many pubs, including PC World, where he worked at the time, were in a suspended state of denial.

"Indeed, the entire computer magazine category spent years in Wile E. Coyote mode," McCracken wrote last week. "We'd blithely walked off a cliff – it's just that gravity hadn't kicked in yet."

Print advertising also played a big part in the decline of computer publications. Once advertisers realized replicating ads on web pages was cheap and easy, they gradually pulled out of print computer magazines. Many physical magazine branches shut down for that reason alone. If the pub didn't have the clout of names like PC Magazine, Maximum PC, or PC World, it had no chance of competing against the internet for ad space. Even the almanac-like Computer Shopper plunged from nearly 360,000 readers in 1996 to about 55,000 in 2014.

Many publications continued offering magazine-like layouts in digital form, but even that eventually got abandoned for the more navigable website format we see today. Of course, this also led to publications figuring out new ways to monetize.

Paywalls are common for many online publications but seem to be less prevalent when it comes to computer and tech magazines. Quite a few PC pubs just upped their advertising game and offered free-to-read coverage. Others started hybridizing by having ad-supported free versions with a subscription option that cuts out the advertisements.

If you still have Maximum PC and MacLife subscriptions, hang on to those last issues. They are at least worth the nostalgia and might fetch a reasonable price when your grandkids are going through your stuff in the attic years from now.

Permalink to story.

I really enjoyed Boot. Then it became MaxPC and every issue was the same. Kind of like TechSpot in the sense that one knows they are going to routinely read..."What just happened?"
They were so busy Kickin' *** over at MaxPC they didn't know they had become trite.

I enjoyed "Computer Shopper" more than any other mag I once subscribed to.

I miss the early days of Computer Shopper Magazine too. It was the size of a phone book that came in the mail every month. And even though 95% of it was ads recycled from the prior months, I still enjoyed spending hours sifting through each page looking for bargains on the newest components. The fact that issues from the 80s & early 90s still sell for north of $50-$100 on EBay is testament to its quality.
I felt for the poor mail delivery guy, though…

In the UK we still get a selection of printed computer magazines, I bought and Amiga magazine just a few weeks ago and they had plenty of others on the shelf too. Not as many as previously though but the same is also true of DVD videos and CD music. Bit of a shame but I am just as responsible as anyone for not buying them.

I was probably about 10 when I started reading PC Magazine and PC World which introduced me to the world of computing, product reviews and testing. Later, I also subscribed to Maximum PC (who would become advertising partners many years later).

Who knew that would become a life-changing pastime for me, by the time I was 15, I was a full-on tech enthusiast and was starting to code basic stuff, so I published a simple website to “report” on tech news. That’s when I started TechSpot, still a high school kid, playing to be a reporter, eventually learning from the trade and building an audience. It’s been almost 25 years since but it all started with that magazine sitting on the newsstand.

I built my first PC, in 1995, with the help of Computer Shopper. I think I subscribed to Maximum PC until maybe 2010?

I was probably about 10 when I started reading PC Magazine and PC World which introduced me to the world of computing, product reviews and testing. Later, I also subscribed to Maximum PC (who would become advertising partners many years later).

Who knew that would become a life-changing pastime for me, by the time I was 15, I was a full-on tech enthusiast and was starting to code basic stuff, so I published a simple website to “report” on tech news. That’s when I started TechSpot, still a high school kid, playing to be a reporter, eventually learning from the trade and building an audience. It’s been almost 25 years since but it all started with that magazine sitting on the newsstand.
Similar story for me (apart from the bit about creating a globally successful website :laughing:) -- it was ZX Computing, back in the early 80s, that got me into computing and coding.

I was a long-time subscriber to PC Format and every month I looked forward to it being delivered when I would read it cover to cover. I really miss proper magazines, digital will never be the same.

When I was a kid I always thought it'd be cool if I kept my magazine collection in an orderly fashion, sort of like micro library. or maybe keep a few for guests who came into my place. I've probably been influenced by some businesses / doctors who offer high quality magazines for its guests.

today it's all digital. at least where I live. gone are the magazines replaced by big 4K TV. still most of the guests couldn't be bothered to look at the TV because most of them are glued to their smartphones. I also haven't seen any magazines in economy class flights for years now.

goodbye magazines. I guess newspaper will follow suit soon.

Sooo.... where can one even buy these single issues in print? :D I couldn't find any place.
Yeah, good luck with that, unless you have a sub. Might have luck with a bookstore that has a good selection of magazines, but chances are if you don't subscribe you probably won't find one.

Yeah, good luck with that, unless you have a sub. Might have luck with a bookstore that has a good selection of magazines, but chances are if you don't subscribe you probably won't find one.
Ended up ordering from here:

Will see if they actually arrive :D

Ended up ordering from here:

Will see if they actually arrive :D
Cool! Send pics. :D

Back