TechSpot

Computer keeps shutting down (Windows XP)

By pintitle
Feb 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

I'm having this problem with my desktop, whenever I play a game, or watch a video from any websites, or when I try to convert videos my PC automatically shuts down and won't turn on unless I turn of the power regulator and turn it on again after a few seconds. sometimes it also shuts down even if xp has just finished it's boot process or even before xp itself reboots. I tried to clean the hardware with a brush in case it's just some dirt issue, it seems to have helped since the pc stops shutting down during the boot process.. however, when I try to play games or watch videos online or convert videos (as I've said before).. after a few seconds, or sometimes after a couple of minutes, it still shuts down automatically... can anyone please help it's starting to become quite annoying..

Thanks! :)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

How old is this XP computer? Is XP fully updated to Service Pack 3 and beyond? This could be caused by a dying power supply

3. pintitle

pintitle TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Tmagic650,

4-6 years, I'm only using service pack 2. I was starting to think of the same thing since sometimes I can't even open it, the lights just blink for a while not even a second and it won't turn on. If I am to change my power supply are there still compatibility issues? or any power supply will do?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Any quality ATX power supply of 350 watts or better will do. Update to Service Pack 3 and some 120 plus more updates are needed, when you get this old beast running again...

5. pintitle

pintitle TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'll be trying that. thanks! :)