TechSpot

Computer keeps typing letter "p" in text box

By pattycakes
Sep 9, 2008
  1. Hi, today I was trying to work on our church's computer but was unable to get any work done because everytime I try to type something in a text box (search engines; url box; etc) it continues to type the letter "p" everywhere. It renames files as "ppppppp" when I try to update them and so on. I ran a virus check on it, and spybot found a win32 trojan and supposedly got rid of it; but it continiues to do the same thing. Boxes keep flashing, file folders keep highlighting and flashing . . . at first I thought it was because the letter "p" was stuck on the keyboard, but it let's me log on to the computer just fine, I just can't type in anything else without the letter "p" taking over. They told me it's been going on for almost 2 weeks and asked if I could help. Could the keyboard be bad, or is there a virus? Please advise.

2. SpiritWind

SpiritWind TS Rookie Posts: 164

Hi:

Spybot is NOT an antiVIRUS program ; is there an antiVIRUS program on this
    computer ? If yes, what is it Name and version Number ? There are a few
    antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN programs better than Spybot ; IF it is ethically to do
    so, I recommend you install the FREE Version of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from
    www.superantispyware.com . Then "Update" it and run its "Full Scan" .
    Anything that a security program detects normally should initially be
    "Quarantined", NOT "Deleted" . IF SUPERAntiSpyware detects anything, just allow
    its "Recommendations" . IF it detects anything other than "adware/tracking"
    cookies, make note of the name and Post it here .

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.