Computer locked out - booting problem

Method36

My mother's boyfriend has a booting problem on his Gateway, Windows 7 desktop. The exact error that we get when we try to login is as follows:

The group policy client service failed at the login.​

Access is denied.​

We get this every time we try to login into his computer. His password is correct, but he doesn't have any password reset disks or anything of the sort. I have already restarted, dusted his system out, re-seated his memory sticks, as the sticky thread says. I don't have any access to any blank CD's or flash drives so memtest is out of the option.

I appreciate anyone's help they are willing to give. Also, I tried finding this problem already but I couldn't. So if there is something already submitted just give me a link. Thank you!

I actually really need this done within the day, any -quick- help will be best, I can't do this over the phone with someone who is inept at these things.

Has he experienced any infections lately? Does he have recovery disks? They should have come with the system.

I would have directed running a harddrive diagnostics but without CDs we can't do this unless his Gateway is running a Western Digital harddrive and then possibly they included a Western Digital Lifeguard utility.

Do you have any friends who are tech savvy? Another suggestion is to slave the harddrive in another system and access this harddrive through said system. You can then run virus scans, memtest, and other diagnostics on said drive.

Well, I believe I said he doesn't have a recovery disk, but I think I found an easier way to do this. The only thing I need to do is find a way to either create a new account or delete his old account through CMOS. Unfortunately I can't find if I can do it that way or not. I'm not quite sure how to access the BIOS though, because to tell you the truth I'm only here because I'm not that tech savvy either . Thanks for your response, let me know if you can help out anymore.

I'm literally pressing F5 every minute, hoping to get this solved quick lol

Update: He doesn't have a windows 7 disk. So I can't system restore,

One of the problems with computers made by the likes of Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. is that they will lock down a BIOS so that only certain things are accessible as opposed to a system built individually whereby the motherboard's BIOS is completely open.

Reboot the system and immediately press the Delete key and hold. This should bring up the BIOS. If not the Delete then try the Escape key.

I had the CMOS open, not sure if it's the same thing but I will try it.

There was no way to do anything pertaining to windows 7 profiles so the last thing I can think of is a way of system restoring. I don't know how but I restarted the desktop, left the room and cam back, and a system repair screen was up. It didn't work but maybe I can do it again or take advantage of that and finally get in to where i can fix it.

Back