Computer locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that everytime I insert a disc into my CD ROM or DVD R/W, my computer will lock up. I am not sure what I causing it. I originally thought it was my DVD shrink and decryptor, but it locked up again after uninstalling it.

This is really starting to annoy me... I have a hunch that it could be after I install XP SP1, but that is just an idea.

Can anyone help me in this matter, this computer is starting to get on my last nerves.

TIA,

Check the cables on the drive, make sure they securely connected. Any other changes you made recently besides SP1? Might have a look in MSKB(look in my signature for the link) there may be a known issue with certain drives and SP1.

Turn off the option for "Auto-Play" (Auto-Play runs the autorun.inf file on your CD which is linked to an .exe file somewhere on your CD which tells your PC to run that file). There may be a program which trys to run when you insert the CD which is causing the problem.

Here is how: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/february/knox1.asp

Either your computer doesn't like the program that is running on the CD, or a file that is associated with that program.

May not be the case, but it's worth a try.

Did it happen right after installing DVD shrink and decryptor? If not why do you think it may be related to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back