Computer locks up at bios

By imprezagoatee
Oct 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A few days ago, my computer stopped booting up. It would get to the Asus bios screen, where it would sway press del to enter setup, and then it would freeze. I tried booting it for a while, then I gave up and decided to come back to it the next day, and it worked fine. It continued to boot fine for a few days, until yesterday, when thew same problem started again. This time letting it sit didn't seem to work, not sure what to try next. Is a new motherboard in my future? Or could it be something else?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Sometimes it's the HardDrive trying to be recognized.
    Trying removing all internal Dust
    And/or reseat the HardDrive and cabling
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

ditto. clean and reseat all ram and cables. Be sure to ground yourself first with the power OFF and unplugged.
  4. imprezagoatee

imprezagoatee Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks guys, I reseated the plugs and ram, booted right up. I think I may have no seated the ram all the way last time I was in there, strange that it did boot a few times though, but such is the world of computers sometimes. :)
  5. imprezagoatee

imprezagoatee Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well, nevermind. It did boot, ran for a few hours, then it locked up, and again will not boot. Any other ideas?
  6. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

7. Branscombe

Branscombe Newcomer, in training

Yeah, Im having the same issues.
    I hit del and it doesnt go into the bios menu.

I might turn it on and let it sit.. I have no patience so I just turn it on, 2 mins later, shut er off..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.