Computer makes high pitch buzzing noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atwooooood

So today i finally finished gathering all the hardware for my custom computer and got it all hooked up and booted up.

Everything has been going good, got all drivers and what-not installed.

Lastly i installed Half Life 2 on it, and noticed that only when im playing the game that i hear a high pitch buzzing noise. Its loudness decreases when the game is paused and goes away when i close the game. I first checked all fans to see if that was it and checked for rubbing cords, but after discovering it gets louder and quieter depending on the load, it sounds more electrical. Cant tell if its coming from the CPU or GPU or if its either. Any ideas what could be causing this?

System specs:
Asus P5Q Pro
Intel E8400
Corsair TX650
Corsair Dominator PC2-8500
EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+
Seagate Barracuda 500GB

That can be just about anything... bad speaker or speaker with torn sound pad, electronic radio wave interference from another device, etc. It can take a long time tracking it down.
Often, however, the cause is merely a mechanical vibration from a cable or plug vibrating against the case, another hardware item, or touching the blade of a case fan or heatsink fan.. If the frequency goes up and down, it can be a fan blade, or dirt on a fan blade. Clean all fans with a que tip and denatured alcohol. Use plastic slip-ties to tie down anything loose.
You might also want to use a cheap AM/FM radio as a detector. Move the radio around the case when it is tuned to a weak station, to see if there is a change in volume or frequency of static.
Defective sound cards, damaged by too much high volume can also result in unwanted sounds, as can wear to a video graphics card, any cooling fan wearing out, optical drive gears or motors.
Remove components, or remove and replace, are the only practical ways to find some such problems.

What you have suggested could be plausible.

But as for cleaning it, thats not an issue. All hardware is brand spanking new.

I know its not something rubbing up against a fan or anything, already checked that out.

I've been doing research and have found out that several people experience an electronic buzz with their video card, some say its just the electrical work inside and that its nothing to worry about, but i'm still yet to be convinced. I dont know though. =/

We see video card problems often in the shop... even brand new ones sometimes emit frequencies that drive one nuts.
What card do you have. That might at least help others, or spur other responses.
Though the problem sometimes occurs, it should NOT happen. Any such card is defective and should be returned... if it is being properly cooled, and you have a quality power supply.
Can we assume you have a warranty, and receipts.

Its an EVGA Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+

I ordered it from newegg in late november so its too late to RMA it now (i bought new hardware weekly over a span of 3 months until i had everything to put my computer together) but from the time i ordered it till yesterday it had been in its box.

Is all that would be left is the manufacturers warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back