Computer not booting

This morning my desktop computer was working fine. Then while I wasn't even using the computer I heard it shut itself down. Straight away I tried to reboot and it would start to reload. As I was distracted by my two small babies I'm not sure how far it was getting into the booting process, but it became obvious that it was resetting itself. It did manage to make it to the windows screen where you login to your account once, but after I put in my password it reset again.

I disconnected the power to the computer and left it a few hours. Now that I've come back to it, it won't do anything more than "rev" once when I try to turn it on. I've opened it up and both the fan on the CPU and the power supply fan start to spin when the power comes on (which is the rev'ing noise), but then it all dies.

I'm thinking that it's probably a motherboard or CPU issue, but really hoping that it's something else that I might be able to fix myself. We JUST bought a new WiFi HDD and I was planning on backing everything up tonight. Perfect timing right!? I'm sure all the data is fine, and I have backups from last month, but I need a file I created last night, and I need it tonight, grrrr.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please give us more information on your system. Did you build it or did you buy it? How old is it?

Hi, i suggest that you give us the specifics like ROUTE44 asked you to, then we can start from there, however the first thins you can do is as follows.
One disconnected off your hard disks, and cd/dvd roms, after that try switching on, it if fails, power off, and remove the ram and try again, if you get a beep then that is good but if you don't then that might be bad but even still that depends, you might not have a beep speaker.
Sorry i have to stop here, i have to go somewhere... please try that and we will start from there...

Back