Computer not detecting IDE devices

realbaz

I have recently upgraded motherboard, processor and ram. I have fitted my new motherboard and it does not recognise my IDE devices, it recognises PS/2 keyboard, my PCI-EX nvidia 8400GS and my Genius 5.1 PCI soundcard.
Back to the problem.
My IDE CD/DVD drive and HDD are not recognised.
*The bios is on auto detect
*The jumpers are in master
*The IDE cable connection is secure

Any IDEas ?

Time for a re-install, and look at your BIOS setups closely... you likely have some problems that can be corrected with changes as you boot to <F2> or <F10>
Start with Default, then go through each setting on the list. There are specific settings for IDE/EIDE... and they are not always obvious changes by the way they are worded...

I will manually sift through the settings tomorrow morning, any key areas or settings to take note of?

The jumpers are in master
If both devices on the same IDE cable are set to master, you will have a problem. Set one to master and one to slave or set both to cable select.

I am using different IDE cables, one for my CD/DVD and one for my HDD. i never had problems with this hdd before

When you replaced the motherboard and kept the old hard drive, you have to either reinstall Windows or at least attempt a Windows repair install. Either way you have to install the new motherboard chipset drivers and all the other drivers. You didn't mention doing any of this yet. Raybay already mentioned a reinstall.

my CD/dvd drive is not detected, im trying flashing my mobo with the latest firmware.

how can i reinstall windows when my dvd drive isn't detected?

You're right, I didn't pick up on that very quickly. What is the new motherboard? Could something be wrong with the IDE cables themselves?

Nearly all of such issues are caused by setup errors in the BIOS... If you are given a choice to select "default" do that. Otherwise, check and consider changing every single entry...

It differs by system, but you usually access by depressing <F1>, <F2>, <F10>, or <F12> but in a very few systems, it is <F6, F7 or F11>

The correct one does not always light up on the screen, because it has been turned off by the problem that is causing your trouble, so you have to experiment, and reboot after each attempt.

Sometimes, but rarely, a hard drive or CD Drive IDE can be bad... and there have been some recent bad IDE situations with Western Digital Green Drives...

But if all of your IDE is bad, then your motherboard is likely bad.

Unplug your cd rom see if it detects your hdd then unplug your hdd see if it detects your cd rom maybe there is a conflict. Try put them on different cable and if you can't be sure that your cd rom is not set to master..

Back