Computer not posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopcornKiller

Well I'm sure there are so many post about this but idk if mine is same as others. My computer was running fine for more then 3 years. I just turned the computer off today as I do almost every week. When I tried to turn it on, it just turned off. This what happens, I hit the power on button, all the fans (3 case fans, 1 cpu fan) turns on, but just when the bios suppose to come on the screen, it turns off. It usually beeps at that time, but this time it didn't, instead it turned off, no beeps. I tried switching the ram, and still same result. Tried unplugging every thing but the main hdd, and still same result. I really dont know what to do. I'm going to get the air spray thing and change the battery tomorrow. Really need help.

My specs (NONE Overclocked):
Asus M2N-E
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200
Nvidia GeForce 8500
DDR2 800 4gb (2x2gb dual channel) G. Skill ram
1 Sata HDD and 2 IDE HDD
1 Sata DVD-RAM

Thank you.

Additional, I tried everything from the Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test) except the dusty part, going to do that tomorrow, and replace the battery.

I would say you PSU has just blown. Its possible that its just a CMOS problem so either using the jumper swap or the battery replacement like you say. However if that doesn't work then i would try a new power supply.

Well I just cleaned every thing inside and replaced the battery and still same result. :(

I get the green light on the mother board saying the power is ok(?). So could that be wrong and PSU is bad? If PSU was bad, would it still turn on all the fans?

Another thing i noticed, there are 2 switches, 1 switch on the PSU and 1 to turn the computer on. When the PSU is switched on and i turn the computer on, same problem, but when i try to turn the computer on again, nothing happens(no fans or anything), tried it many times. But when i turn the PSU off and then back on and then try to computer on, it turns on but same problem.

So in other words, it only turns on 1 time and then turns off, it wouldn't go back on unless i turn the PSU off then back on.

I think it may be the PSU.

IT may be giving you some power as there is nothing needed to power fans and the mobo light.

I would get a cheap PSU tester like this
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_kinh?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=PSU+tester&x=0&y=0[/ame]

Then see if it works. If it does...well then its possibly the mobo or CPU.

To test the CPU just in case,

Follow these instructions
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic377.html

Burn to CD and run for 7 passes. This will test both your RAM and CPU. If anything fails it will need replacing.

I tried 4 different kinds of memory chips and same result. I guess i'll try a new PSU. Gona buy it tonight and see how it does.

Well I just bought new PSU from bestbuy and still having same problem. Got BFG 550 PSU and only connected the motherboard, cpu, and hdd, and same problem. :(

I would have guessed PSU as well, the only way to know is to try another one. If the video is a card and not onboard you might try a different one, or just remove it and see if it beeps. I would also try it with the hard drive and the case fans disconnected. Basically remove anything that could be drawing power and shorting out, even mouse and keyboard. If nothing changes after eliminating everything, the no beeps means the cpu is not being seen, that means bad mobo or cpu

I tried with just cpu, motherboard, ram, and hdd(tested on other computer and it works), with new psu. And still same problem, no beep, just turns off.

Did you run memtest as i said above?.

Due to what you have said and also what swwelsh pointed out, i do believe your CPU has gone.
How this has happened remains uncertain. Did you smell anything burning? or smoke of any kind?

I think its either shorted or just blow.
Run memtest as i said in post #4 as this will bring back a dead CPU.

How can i run memory test if the comp doesnt stay on? I dont have any other comp that will take ddr2.

I just ordered a new motherboard. So i hope its the motherboard since its cheaper and not the cpu.

Sorry i had one of those moments there, that no power just didn't click, sorry about that.
This is one of those cases really were trying each piece of hardware is the only real way eg if it did stay on THEN we could run memtest :)
You can try the new mobo however i still fell as though its more CPU orientated...but i will await your reply. And sorry again.

Its ok :p

Well I have 2X1gb DDR2 chips from PNY and 2X2gb DDR2 chips from G. SKill. At the moment when my computer stopped working, I only had 2x2gb DDR2 G Skill chips, so during my testing I have being using each one separate times, I have done a lot of tests. So after that I have testing one of my HDD to my other computer and it works, so I testing that and still same problem. I removed any other thing connecting to motherboard (video card, usb pci card).

So I basically tested many times with working HDD, memory (dont have any computer that will take ddr2, so i really cant check if its the memory problem), new PSU, and nothing else connected (keyboard, mouse). So only thing left for me to check is motherboard and cpu. If I have the same problem with the new motherboard (REALLY HOPE NOT), then its the cpu, right?

Motherboard arrives next week :(

If I have the same problem with the new motherboard (REALLY HOPE NOT), then its the cpu, right?
Unfortunately yes.

However don't worry to much. There is allot that can go wrong with a motherboard. Resistor often go and loose connections can be a big problem. A CPU rarely just dies without giving a lovely burning smell, unless of course the PC/CPU has been mistreated and for example the die inside has cracked.

There was no smell of burning or any sound that might suggest something happen. I took good care on putting the CPU in the motherboard, but I think I careless when I was putting in the CPU fan, memory, and 24 ping power cable. But it worked fine for 2 and half years.

Well in that case there is the possibility of it just being the mobo...you may be lucky on this one

Well I just found the invoice of the purchase. And it was purchased on August 2007, so the mobo isnt in the warranty, but the CPU is :) So if cpu was the problem, would they fix it or give me a new one? Would they still give me the same speed/model cpu even tho they prob dont make it anymore?

Its up to whoever sold you the CPU.
They will probably give you a new one as its more expensive for them to repair overall,however it depends.
If they repair it it will depending were it goes (India, Silicon Valley or someones shed in rural America, its anyone's guess were) and will take about a month.

However if they give you a new one they will either:
  • Give you the same model CPU
  • Give you a similar CPU of the same price but possibly slower or faster
  • Give you the same speed CPU and charge extra if necessary (however if it costs less they wont refund you the difference

But it all depends on their terms and conditions.

Any news on the mobo's arrival?

Got the cpu on newegg. No extended warranty or anything. The manufactures warranty is 3 years.

Mobo should arrive on Wednesday :( Can't wait.

Ah ok then.

With a manufacturer warranty most probably you will send the CPU away and they will test if and then depending on what they find they will repair or replace it.

Hey, I just got it few hours ago, did a quick swap, had to clean the CPU chip and put in the new thermal compound, I used Silver Thermal Compound by Dynex that I got from BestBuy. Taking the CPU out is a *****. But after everything was carefully installed, IT WORKED!!!!!!!!! I didn't have to re-install windows. I mean WOW!!!!. Guess it WAS the mobo. Now I'm just backing everything up so I can re-install windows with the new mobo.

Fantastic!

Its always good to reinstall windows, it's always nice to give it a fresh feel and good at least you still have your data.

I know what you mean about TC as well, really horrible messy stuff :dead:
Ive always tried to go with CPU coolers with TC already applied :stickout: so you only have to take it off and unfortunately in diagnostics swapping the mobo can damage the CPU which leads people to think it was that after all :stickout: so good job you didn't :).

Well glad its going again and good luck with it from now on ;)

Ya its so hard to remove it, I mean, there has to be a better way but I guess I didn't find it. For some reason, its taking forever for the computer to read/load from CD to install windows. Its very slow, I don't see lights flashing on the DVD drive but it flashes after some time. Normal at the beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back