Computer partially going into sleep mode

smashr

Hello

Recently I changed my old graphics card (from an Nvidia 6600GT to a ATI HD 4670), I also did the following manipulations to solve a problem I had with my computer (side note: I have WinXP):

- Opened my PC case (with power off of course) and check for connections in it, my DVD drive was not correctly connected, fixed it.

- On the motherboard there was a battery looking like a watch battery, took it out for 10 secs to restore factory settings on my motherboard.

- Went inside the BIOS of my motherboard and stumbled upon the fact that USB 2 was not activated, so I swiitched from USB 1 to USB 2.

Now my problem is that when I go to Start> Turn off the computer > Sleep (not sure it's the right word in english, my WinXP is in French). Anyway before when I chose that the computer would go into sleep mode without any problem and that's it. But since I have my new card it doesn't. It seems to (the hard drives etc seems to go to sleep, the screen also finds no signal and also goes to sleep but I still hear a fan running in there with as much noise as when the computer is still running normally, really weird.

I was thinking the fan is the new graphics card, I didn't install it, the vendor installed it for me since i'm not really a brain at internal electronics, maybe there is something to connect on it to tell her when to go to sleep, I dunno. Or it's the proc fan.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this please ?

Thanks a lot !

When you removed the CMOS battery, it reset the BIOS to default settings. I don't know what motherboard you have and the BIOS' of different boards can vary but check the Power Management page of the BIOS and see if the suspend type is set to S3 (STR).

Hi thanks for your response, i'll check it tomorrow since I really need some sleep now but I was wondering, what is S3 (STR) mode ? Is it the one i'm looking for or a another ? Thanks again !

I believe S3 is what you want. My PCs are all set to that. It shuts down the PC except for keeping the current settings in memory so when you restart, it returns to what you were doing before.

Hi I still hadn't got the time to get in the bios to check but I wanted to know, if I try out the different modes can some damage my PC if not adapted ? Also I forgot to mention that when I try to shutdown the computer using the WinXP shutdown button, it reboots everytime.
I found out on Internet that this could be caused by a USB device pluged in at the moment where the PC is shutting down. Since I frequently have my iPhone connected to my PC. So I tried to shutdown without the iPhone connected and it worked.
What's weird is that I never had that iPhone/reboot problem before I made those manipulations explained in my first post.

Do you think the "sleep mode problem" and the "shutdown problem" are linked some way?

Thanks again for your help !

PS: I tried shutting down the computer with a USB device connected (iPhone) with Linux Ubuntu and it works correctly, it shuts down. So I'm thinking it might be software related. Or do you think it could be the power supply that's overwhelmed when I have the iPhone connected (since connecting the iPhone recharges it's battery)? I am asking about the power supply because one of my manipulations was to reconnect correctly the DVD and CD drives, therefor adding back electricity demanding devices.

Back