TechSpot

Computer passes artificial intelligence test for the first time ever

By Shawn Knight
Jun 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The field of artificial intelligence reached an important landmark over the weekend as the Turing Test was passed for the first time ever.

Read more
  2. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 510   +81

For the record, it's just "Ukraine" now. The "the" was dropped following the collapse of the Soviet Union and is actually considered disrespectful by some Ukrainians.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,823   +543

"The" has no meaning, neither in Russian no in Ukrainian languages, it is one particle that has no translation and therefore simply omitted. So what disrespect are you talking about? I never heard of anything like that.
  4. veLa

I heard it from a Ukrainian professor at my university who lectured my entire class on Soviet repression.

Did you consider Googling it dude? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ukraine vs the Ukraine
  5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 507   +83

I used your Google search and pulled this from a Business Insider article on "Ukraine" vs. "The Ukraine":

Umm, isn't Russia kind of sidelining Ukrainian statehood? I think the Ukraine has more to worry about than the definite article that precedes its name.
  6. veLa

Don't be coy, you're fully aware of the conflict in that part of the world, but that doesn't make my initial assertion that it's considered rude any less valid.
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,823   +543

Russians call Ukraine Hohlyandiya, which is as good name as any, except Ukrainians (Hohly) do not like it, but who cares...
    [​IMG]
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,690   +884

Somewhat oddly, that name just looks like nobody in Russia can spell, "holy land". Perhaps their own Cyrillic alphabet confuses them. It sure confuses me.
  9. Stop picking on Russians. It wasn't them who started it.
  10. 30% doesn't get you a pass in any test that I have ever heard of.

Further, a Ukraine bot talking to English speaking testers is an *****ically flawed test.

What a crock, seriously.
  11. Nick_Knac

Nick_Knac TS Rookie

Who cares ?
    jobeard likes this.

12. captaincranky

Josef Stalin killed millions of his own people. So, what's not to love about the Russians?
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,981   +1,488

Ukrainians
  14. Unless I'm mistaken, due to the 'Ukraine' obsession, no one seems to have mentioned 'Skynet!'
  15. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,436   +218

I don't suppose we can all get on topic? I would say, "Back on topic," but it never got there to begin with. Thank you kindly.
  16. captaincranky

OK then. "Artificial intelligence", isn't that what it takes to get into your girlfriends pants?

Or would that be, "the artifice of intelligence".:p

Hey wait a minute, due to trickle down technology, in another few years every computer will be able to seduce human females. As if there wasn't enough competition already....:oops: How's the average nerd ever going to get lucky.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.