Computer power failure

Hello, 16 year old Jason here, a week ago a lightning storm was brewing near my neighborhood and the power outages all went off, when it went back on, my computer became very dysfunctional. When I press the power button on the computer I get lead into windows loading session and they give me 4 options on how to run my pc.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Unfortunately none of these options actually work, once I select one of the option my PC just restarts and goes back to this option, however..
I can go into my BIOS system setup.

Is there anything I can do to fix my computer?

Here's my system information.

Bios Information
Version : 0307
Build Date 06/18/08

Processor

Type : AMD Phenom (tm) 8650 Triple-Core Processor
Speed : 2300MHz
Count : 3

System Memory
Installed Size : 4096 MB
Usable Size : 4096

I'm on a temporary laptop, please don't expect me to be a computer guru, I require assistance because I know nothing of computers, but I can follow instructions.

Jason, did you have your system connected through a power surge protector? Do you have any friends who have tech knowledge that can use a digital multimeter to test your power supply?

Jason, did you have your system connected through a power surge protector? Do you have any friends who have tech knowledge that can use a digital multimeter to test your power supply?

No I wasn't connected to a power surge protector, my friends do not have the knowledge required to use the digital multimeter tester to test my supply. >_<

No I wasn't connected to a power surge protector, my friends do not have the knowledge required to use the digital multimeter tester to test my supply. >_<
Since it powers up, that's a good sign. Motherboard and CPU sound intact. I'd try a spare PSU if you can get your hands on one. If the same thing happens when you try to boot into windows then your hard disk might have some sort of corruption. I would try to backup all your hard disk data.

You can do that in a number of ways. Here are a few I find easiest. Might need a friend's computer to do this if you don't have a spare desktop around:
1) Pull hard disk out and put it into another computer. Then use some sort of imaging program like Acronis TrueImage or copy all the important stuff like documents and photos onto another hard drive or thumb drive or something reliable.

2) Use your windows install disc to repair windows or install windows back over the top or even format and reinstall. Second option of those two would mean all your programs are lost and need reinstalling.

Anyway good luck. Can take some time to work out what to do but if you have the patience, you can usually find a way of fixing this without having to reinstall everything.

Back