Computer powers itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

Ok so I have a computer that is powering down by itself. It was an Emachine T6532 that well, went thru a house fire. I rebuilt it into a new case, but it has the original CPU, MoBo, HDD, and up until recently the original power supply. I have added an Ethernet card, and a sound card. Its running Window XP Pro sp2 I have had it running just fine for about a year now.

Ok so as i said it started shutting off on its own. This just started happening last week. So last Friday i replaced the power supply with a 350 watt Antec one. Booted up ran fine all week. So I thought my problem was fixed. Came home today, my girl friend hopped on that computer, was on it for about 5 sec and it powered off by itself.

Personally I think its a over heating issue, since it wont power back on for 5-30 minutes after it shuts itself off & I also leave it running 24/7. If it was a virus issue I would think you could power it right back on. And since I just replaced the power supply, I'm going to guess that's not an issue. Also, I don't think its a Mobo issue, since again I would think I could power it back on after it dies to, and at least get fans turning on. As it is when I hit the power button on the front, it acts like there is NO power to the machine at all.

So then if it is a over heating issue, what do I do to narrow it down to see what needs to be replace. Or does its sound like its not an over heating issue?

Any help would be great, and if you need more info let me know.

Thanks!

I'd say PowerSupply again (350 watt you say)

But you could run Memtest on your Ram

Well I went with a 350 watt after using THIS Power Supply Calculator,(See the attached file for what I came up with on the first site) and looking at THIS. On both I came up with about 270 watts need, figured 350 should be enough.

But I will run memtest on it tomarow

On another note, I got it to power back on, but had to unplug the power supply from the MoBo, and then plug it back in. It had sat for about 30mins. Not sure if that is important or not.

Also, I reinstalled speed fan, and am keeping an eye on the temp, I set up an event for the temps it monitors to let me know if any temp goes over 55c. From the searching I did your system running between 50-65C is normal, when under a load.

Well 256Watt is noted as Minimum
And I'm aware that too high of a PowerSupply wattage is actually not ideal either (ie it needs about 30% load they say)

So, I probably would have recommended 500Watt + (ie up to 650Watt)
Here we go with all the not required posts
But that's my opinion I suppose. 350Watt just seems a little low

Well 256Watt is noted as Minimum
And I'm aware that too high of a PowerSupply wattage is actually not ideal either (ie it needs about 30% load they say)

So, I probably would have recommended 500Watt + (ie up to 650Watt)
Here we go with all the not required posts
But that's my opinion I suppose. 350Watt just seems a little low

Ok I will keep that in mind. I figured after my research and that it ran on a crappy 300 watt power supply for 3 or 4 years before i got it and about a year after it, it should be fine on a good 350 watt power supply. Also, the place I bought it had a 350 watt or a 650 watt, which i thought was over kill :p, and there was a dramatic increase in price, :p

But im going to run that memtest today. I know 1 gig of the memory was originaly in the machine, and I added another 2 512 cards (for a total of 4 512mb ram cards) that i bought used off a friend.

Well, I'm started to second guess myself on my theory that it is overheating. I'm not sure why it shuts down, but unplugging the power supply from the MoBo seems to cause it to boot back up. I have noticed that 2 times now when my girl friend has launch WoW is when the computer has crashed.

Please does someone have an idea??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back