Computer powers on for two seconds then turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3chan1zr

I will try to explain everything in detail:
I bought a new case for my computer (Cooler Master HAF 932).
I have moved everything from my old case to the new one.
After I had done that (verified that all the wires and cables were connected to their proper places), I attempted to turn on the computer. The fans, drives, etc. start to spin up but then turn off after 2 seconds. Nothing happens afterwards. Is it my power supply? I didn't switch out any hardware (except the fans) from my old case to the new one.

Originally I had:

Generic case with two 120mm fans
Intel stock fan

Corsair TX650W power supply
4 sticks of corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz ram totalling 8gb
Two dvd burners
A floppy drive ;)
ATI Radeon 4870 x2
BFG aegia physx card ;)
Hitachi 1 tb hard drive (don't remember the exact model)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
One Vantec Thermoflow Fan
One standard Thermaltake fan (TT-12025A)

Motherboard - EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW

Now I have:
A Cooler Master HAF 932
Corsair TX650W power supply\
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper N520
4 sticks of corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz ram totalling 8gb
Two dvd burners
A floppy drive ;)
ATI Radeon 4870 x2
BFG aegia physx card ;)
Hitachi 1 tb hard drive (don't remember the exact model)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
Motherboard - EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
The three fans that come with the case (two 230mm fans and one 140mm)

---------------------------
As you can see the specs are almost exactly the same. Faulty power button? I have pushed the power button that is directly on the motherboard but to no avail. I have disconnected all the case/system/chassis fans except the processor fan but it still doesn't work. I have disconnected the processor fan ONCE to see what would happen (computer turns on for a max of two seconds then turns off, processor shouldn't burn out that fast). I have disconnected all the optical drives, the floppy, the hard drive, the physx card (one at a time, doing multiple tests) but the problem still exists. Now I am thinking that it could be the power supply, even though it worked fine before or the cmos battery (the motherboard is about a year old...). If it is a processor problem, the computer should still turn on but have a blank screen with a flashing cursor on it if it was totally dead. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? Thanks in advance.

When you power on the PC does the CPU fan spin? It's possible the BIOS is shutting the PC down because it thinks the CPU fan isn't running.

CPU fan

When you power on the PC does the CPU fan spin? It's possible the BIOS is shutting the PC down because it thinks the CPU fan isn't running.

Yes, the CPU fan starts to spin (as with everything else) but then it turns off after two seconds like everything else... :(

Sounds like you have a short.

Unplug all connectors (except CPU fan) on the board - including the front panel headers, since you have a power button on the motherboard. If it still doesn't work, remove the motherboard from the case and test on a piece of cardboard - perhaps a standoff in the incorrect place.

Thanks for the responses. I switched the power supply and it seems to be working now. Perhaps it finally decided to stop working. For a while now, a "smell" of electricity was emitting from the PSU, sort of like an ionic breeze... Any ways, it works now with the new power supply.

If you're in the UK and have nothing else you want to do with that power supply, I may be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back