Computer problem - Turns on, but no activity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdie,

I hope that one of you more-tech-savy-than-I people can help me out. When I power on my computer, lights flash and the drives/HDDs/fans spin. However, that's as far as it goes. Neither of my monitors displays an image, nor do I get any of the normal beeps or other sounds associated with a normal startup. After a few minutes of just nothing, the system turns off and cannot be turned on again unless I unplug the cord for a few minutes.

In the very recent past the system has randomly powered itself off a few times, I assume it was because there's a lot of heat (It's been over 90 for the past 2 weeks and my room doubles as a brick oven in the sun). I've been meaning to get a new case with a better cooling system (never trust CompUSA to build your computer), but money seems to be going to other less important things like food and clothing.

I think the motherboard maybe fried, but I'd like your opinion.

Most likely it's something related to heat. Bring it to a PC repair shop and get them to look at it

(never trust CompUSA to build your computer)

DJGetPissed said:
(never trust CompUSA to build your computer)

Never trust CompUSA period! They are rediculously over priced, a rip off!

Regarding your heat theory, it matters not what type of cooling your computer has if it's 100 degrees faranheit in the room. You may want to purchase an A/C unit for the room that the computer is in.

Could be a faulty power supply. PSU testers are cheaper than buying a new mobo and finding out that it's your PSU. And yes, even though your fans and drives spin up, the PSU can still be broken.

Good luck.

CompUSA... lol

CompUSA... CompUSmart a devision of them is fine if you know what you are buying but if you don't you will get ripped off. $45.00 for a 3.5 floppy drive in a retail box I can get a 6 in 1 with 3.5 OEM for that price. It sounds to me like it is a heat or a PSU problem, find some where cool at a bud's place or something and try the computer ther if it still is acting stupid I would put money on a new PSU and remember that if it is a PSU problem it maybe from heat so get a higher rate PSU add about 50-100 Watts. But maybe getting this done by a pro in person would be best.

I've taken care of the heat problem in the room, that was my first concern. However, it still will not do anything but light up and spin disks.

Just to clarify: in my families ignorance 3 years ago, before I started college, we went to CompUSA to buy this computer. I've learned a tad in the time since then, and I wish I could go back and build it myself.

The funny thing about this computer is that I bought it from CompUSA, but they gave it to a third-party to build for them. So the computer was basically built, tested, and warranted through this third-party company, which interestingly enough went out of business 2 years ago.

As Dgower2 mentioned, it may be the PSU. I had a HP mini tower a few years back that did the same exact thing you describe in a air conditioned room. Replacing the PSU corrected the problem.

Room with A/C

If the room has A/C there maybe a problem with the A/c producing dirty power that may have dameged the motherboard and or RAM, by now. Did you have a CUPS on this system? If so what was it's rating, or did you just have a powerbar?

Your folks did the best they could with their limited knowledge and the PC lasted 3 years so "Thanks folks." Anyways, the first thing you have to do is determine what the problem is. More than likely it is a heat related PSU failure (see all the posts above LOL) but you won't know till you test it. Get a little tester @ Comp rip off or Radio Shack for $12 and if it shows that the PSU is bad you can get a new one relatively cheaply and replace it with very little upset to your system.

If the PSU is good then it is time to start pulling components and rebooting. What is your configuration/specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back