Computer randomly reboots in a couple of applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My computer keeps rebooting randomly within a couple of programs. Windows media player is one of them, the other is the Sims 3 (Installed Last night)

I checked the event viewer and it looks like there is some error with sptd each time the pc restarts there are two different ones associated with that same file.

First is:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 6/3/2009
Time: 7:58:18 AM
User: N/A
Computer: STEVE-521A40089
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
sptd

2nd is:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sptd
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 6/3/2009
Time: 7:57:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: STEVE-521A40089
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: b8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ¸.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I have reinstalled the program a couple of times, which is not doing a thing it seems.

I have Windows XP SP2 (32)

Does anyone know how I can fix this error so that my computer stops rebooting randomly?

Thanks

Possibilites
1. RAM may be and is probably the culprit. Certain apps utilize more RAM and therefore more RAM spaces then others. Try running a memtest
2. Graphics RAM (if using a seperate card)
3. Faulty graphics driver (recommend upgrading to the latest version)
4. It could be audio driver (doubtful but possible)

Ok,

I ran the memory tests, no errors found
I uninstalled audio driver and got newest version
I even reinstalled the video drivers one last time

Nothing worked though 8(

I also unplugged my pata DVD-Rom drive which someone in another post claimed fixed a similar problem.

I am out of ideas lol

Ok, that leaves some kind of software compatibility (namely Windows Media and Sims 3). Does this happen at any other time? or maybe you haven't seen it happen any other time? Upon looking at your event messages I noticed sptd is in common between the two messages and upon looking it up it seems it is something called Daemon tools. Are you running this software? If you are try uninstalling it. I noticed it is a CD/DVD emulator. Try burning the CD instead of emulating or look for something else.

I have other programs that I run for hours at a time and none of them have ever made the computer reboot like this.

I am not using Daemon tools, and I have never installed it on my system. I have also never had a CD/DVD emulator on this system.

I have been trying to look up that spdt, it seems to be linked to some kind of hardware driver if i understand what ive seen

Event Type: Error, Event Source: sptd, Event ID: 4, Date: 6/3/2009 Time: 7:57:48 AM
Description: Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for:
and
Event Type: Error, Event Source: Service Control Manager, Event ID: 7026, Date: 6/3/2009 Time: 7:58:18 AM
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: sptd

SPDT is: Single Pole, Double Throw, a simple type of changeover switch. A switch is an electrical component that can break an electrical circuit. First, the controller sent out the Warning that it couldn't connect, then it sent out the Error that the driver wasn't loaded.Taking the two Errors together means that if a device is not working properly, its driver fails to load when Windows starts.

Simply said: If a device is not working properly, its driver fails to load when Windows starts.
More technical means that the Service Control Manager tried to.communicate with the hardware controller on behalf of the operating system. The SCM keeps data in an orderly, organized way called the data structures. The controller driver uses this data to perform tasks and wasn't organized and the controller driver can't fix it.

So it is now necessary to identify the 'device'> logically, as mentioned, WMP or the Sims program might be involved. If you got Sims installed and the problem began after that, I suggest you uninstall it and check the system them, If the problem doesn't recur, then you know either the CD was bad or the CD-DVD drive is bad.
It can be a SCSI driver conflicts
Devices that have been known to cause this problem are:
Hotplugging of the USB keyboard> you have an USB-connected keyboard but PS/2 keyboard support is still enabled in BIOS.
Symantec plug and play device drivers for tape drives.
Nvidia Pure Video Decoder was uninstalled

If you have Daemon Tools on the system, please go here:
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f14/dt4-sptd-error-install-6753/

Source for Events: Eventid.net, Wikipedia, Daemon Tools Forum.

Since you were working with Windows media player and the Sims 3 software,

If you have Daemon Tools on the syste, pleas go here: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f14/dt4-sptd-error-install-6753/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back