Computer randomly restarts when not actively using

ComputerGod91

Hello, so here I am after I upgraded my PSU and GPU. I took some recommendations from people on here, purchased the parts, and installed them into my computer myself.

Fast forward a month and I upgraded to windows 7 from XP. Now every once in a while when I am not actively using my computer, say I leave it on while I use my Xbox or go and do something else and leave it on, I'll come back to see it at the login screen and I'll log in and it'll say it recovered from and unexpected restart. I don't normally leave my computer on when I'm not using it or near it. So it'll do this after about 20-30 minutes of sitting Idle would be my guess. Which come to think of it is when my screensaver is running, which is a custom one I got from the internet featuring the matrix code falling down the screen. Damn, could that be it?

Anyway it was never a problem until yesterday when it restarted itself and all my programs in the Programs(x86) were wiped out. I.E. the folders are there but they are completely empty.

Sorry for this being so long just trying to be thorough, here is my specs:

Windows 7
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
4Gb Corsair RAM
HIS Radeon HD 5770
750 Watt Corsair PSU
Gigabyte Motherboard

Anything else just ask. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Also rarely when I hit the power button to turn on my computer when it's off it'll make three rapid beeps and the display won't come on but pressing the power button to shut it off and turning it back on fixes it.

Which come to think of it is when my screensaver is running, which is a custom one I got from the internet featuring the matrix code falling down the screen. Damn, could that be it?
Disable the screen saver and see.

I did that and it hasn't happened since, I don't know if that fixed it but it would seem it did.

Do you have any idea why my computer will sometimes beep 3 times rapidly and then the display wont come on?

How do I check which BIOS I have? When I restart my computer does it say it at that black screen with the numbers and stuff that run up it? Also it doesn't beep every time I turn on my computer just once in a while. For Example it happened today and on the day I made the original post. between today and then it hasn't done that.

Is there a way to check what case I have, I bought it from Fry's and I don't remember which it is, the front fan makes extremely loud noise on start up sometimes too, I think I have to replace that as well.

EDIT: So let's say it's 3 beeps for bad RAM, then the solution is to replace the RAM with new RAM, right? Now if its not the RAM and I do have the BIOS you think I have then the next thing it could be is Failure in video system- An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered If that was the case, what caused it and how would I fix it?

go into the advanced system properties and remove the automatic restart on failure and in that same section make sure that it create a dump file log. now when the system fails this may force the system to blue screen and/or log the error so you can post the dmp file for us to analyze

Alright, and this shouldn't harm my computer right?

Also if you have any answers for my post above yours they'd be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I found a MEMORY.DMP file, is this what your looking for?

yes attach it thats the file we need. and no it wont hurt but if you attach that file you may get an answer before having to change all that

either put it on sendspace.com or rapidshare or choose the option to create a "small dump file" in teh area I mentioned earlier. that file will be much smaller.

Today, according to my Action center, my computer recovered from an unexpected shutdown. I do believe I told it to shutdown but it says that the ATI display driver has stopped working and that this might have caused it.

Thoughts?

Back