Computer randomly shuts down

sirnick

i have a customers computer that randomly shuts down in the middle of just general usage. I will do the basic trouble shooting, but any further info or tips would be great. Thanks.

Common causes for this would be overheating or PSU failure.

Download and install this to keep an eye on your CPU temperature. Set it to display the temps in the task bar. If the temps are going over 80ºC you should check the fan is OK and that the heatsink is clean, also replace the thermal paste on the CPU.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Mark56 has a point, please do as what he has said.

And for further clarifications, I guess that it's a desktop PC. What's the computer specs?
What applications do this computer has?

For example, what application that the user is currently working on when this problem happens?

This will help, please answer all of these. Thanks

i was looking at the back of the computer and i noticed on the PSU they had the little red toggle switched to 230. I switched it to 115. Fired up the computer and it ran great for me, maybe this was the problem?

Yes it is a desktop computer, and these people im doing this for have dial up (LOL). They use AOL so i updated the AOL software and updated their windows as well.

Well, sounds like you have solved the problem. I am suprised it worked at all if they are on a 115V supply when it was on the 230V setting lol.

Back