Computer randomly turning off (XP)

jephph

A computer I'm working on is randomly turning off. It can be on for a while (a few days) and then turn off, or it can be on for just a few minutes. Also, sometimes it won't turn back on. There are some minidump files attached.

Attachments

• Mini080110-04.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini080110-06.dmp
  • Mini080110-08.dmp
  • Mini080110-10.dmp
  • Mini080210-02.dmp
Three of your minidumps pointed at Avast's driver (i.e. aswMon2.SYS, TS: 15-Sep-09). Two were 0x1A errors, with one of them 'Memory_Management' error.

Can you please provide me with your system's complete specifications including PSU specs/make/model?

Please download and run memtest (you can get it from TechSpot's downlaod section), and run it for 8 passes, to check whether RAM is the real cause of this.

Also check whether there are program updates available for Avast you are using almost an year old release of that software I think.

Lastly, do ensure that your system is clean/dust free.

10 4.

It is an HP m7470n. It's running Windows Media Center with SP3
Athlon 64 x2 4200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 200
The PSU is a Bestec 300W

I just noticed when I opened the case that the tabs on the RAM sticks weren't quite closed all the way. That may very well have been the issue. I'll start memtest now to make sure it's good. Thanks!

Ok, Memtest86+ just showed an "Unexpected Interrtpt- Halting" error. It stopped running, and it's showing a bunch of letters and numbers. I'll write the first line here. Let me know if you need more.

Type: 0002ba18 eax: 00000000 0007be76 50540018 0007be'6 505498ed

Just to make sure re-run it.

If you have 2x1GB sticks run memtest on each stick individually.

Yup, re-running it with both sticks now. I've got to head to the grocery store, so I'll be back later and run it on each stick individually and let you know how that goes. Thanks!

All right, ran it again with both sticks. It has gone through 9 passes without an error. I took both sticks out and blew out the sticks and slots with canned air before I ran it the second time. Looks like that may have fixed the problem. I was never able to actually replicate the symptom (shutting off randomly). That's just what the client told me. I'll let it run tonight and see if anything has happened to it tomorrow. If not, I'll let him know that the ram wasn't seated properly, and it should be fixed now. Thanks guys.

Glad to hear that, in case you need any further assistance please let us know, good luck.

Back