TechSpot

Computer reboots after 5 sec

By FrederikNeertof
May 31, 2010
  1. Hello Techspot. I have a problem with my computer. Yesterday it worked just fine - but today when I turned it on, it keeps rebooting every 5 sec.. the screen is black all the time. It has happened before, but I was able to solve the problem by removing the cmos battery and putting it back in. It usually happens when I plug the powercord out and have to start it after putting it back in.

I tried switing out ram blocks, resetting the cmos battery, I even tried starting the computer without the any ram blocks or battery.

Any thoughts on this? I tried pretty much everything I had in mind.
    Oh and if this helps, I just formatted the computer with windows xp yesterday.. it worked fine, but today it just keeps rebooting every 5 secs. So it's not a system error.
    The motherboard is:
    Gigabyte P35DQ6

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Try replacing the motherboard battery.

Did you try booting with only a single stick of memory installed in the first memory slot? It could also be a power supply issue. If you have a spare working PSU put it in the system and see if it POSTs.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.