TechSpot

Computer reboots when I log into Runescape

By Ness369
Jul 8, 2008
  1. A couple weeks ago & right after a windows update, I was no longer able to play runescape without having my computer reboot without warning (no error message, just black screen, then it boots up - a lot slower than usual). I thought I had fixed the problem, but again, as of this morning (& another update!), the problem came back after I followed instructions to correct an error re more than one virtual machine or whatever running (concerning Java).
    Heres what happens: I can usually log in, then after approx. 2-5 mins of game play (sometimes it happens the second I log in, sometimes I don't even get that far!), the computer screen goes black & then the computer reboots. This happens if I load the game in IE 7.0 OR if I use an rs "toolkit" such as SwiftKit or RS Sidekick. (I had this problem with IE 7.0 a couple months ago, but was able to get around it by using SwiftKit. Then when the problem happened with SwiftKit, I used SideKick. Now I can't use that either!) I restored the computer to a couple days before the update. I ran all the diagnostics/cleaners such as windows disk cleanup (I have win xp with sp2), diskchk, Crap Cleaner and Windows Live OneCare. I uninstalled/reinstalled IE 7.0 and uninstalled/reinstalled Java (to the latest update). I even uninstalled/reinstalled SwiftKit and SideKick. (I know I probably shouldn't use these programs, but they havn't given me any problems so far - and I don't believe either program is causing this problem.) I removed the most recent windows updates and cleaned any dust out of the tower. NOTHING has fixed the problem! So far, the only time it reboots is when I log into runescape. This problem has me very aggravated!! (Mainly cuz I cant figure out whats going on!)

Anyone have an idea what could be causing this problem? Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated!!! (I've posted on a couple boards & literally hundreds of people have read the posts, and NO ONE?? can tell me how to fix it? I find that hard to believe.) I will take ANY suggestions at this point. Every time my computer reboots, its that much closer to hitting the floor - it has me that angry!) PLEASE!!! :confused:

Thanks!

2. relax345

relax345 TS Rookie

Change ur OS...

I have changed my OS....to original windows xp...not sp2 or sp3....
    try it...
    and e-mail....marc04_08@yahoo.com.ph...
    now I can play Cabal and run...faster....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.