Computer reboots when inserting CD

By lwarteman
Mar 6, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Running Dell Vostro 200, approximately 12 months old with Windows XP Pro, 2G of RAM. Just replaced power supply yesterday upgraded to 500W because I had been ripping my CD library to an external HD, when all of a sudden, whenever I would insert a CD into the CD/DVD burner, the computer would reboot before it gave me any choices. I attempted to update drivers and that did not work. The DVD ROM drive works find for ripping, just the burner causes restart. I tried switching the SATA cables on the drives and still got the same result. Should I try replacing the DVD burner?
    I ran diagnostics, said everything was find, Device Manager says everything is fine, ran Check Disk, no errors.
    I don't know what else to do other than try to replace burner and if that's not it, call in a professional!
    Any other ideas?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

Yep, I'd replace the burner. They are incredibly cheap anyway. You can get one for less than $30 online easy if you can wait for shipping.
  3. bullzi

bullzi Newcomer, in training

Does the PC restart even with the old PSU?
  4. bogdan88

bogdan88 Newcomer, in training

if with old power supp it work fine, the new one is not to good.
  5. bullzi

bullzi Newcomer, in training

Right, that's what I was ultimately getting at.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.