TechSpot

Computer restarting help

By AmazingBanana
Mar 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I am new to the forums, and would love to get some help from you all.

So recently, my computer has been restarting itself, and I have no idea why. I have recently downloaded a game, Borderlands, from Steam, and have been playing it. The restarts started when I started playing. I've run multiple virus scans, preformed system restores, and nothing has seemed to work. I've even given my game access to my antivirus, and I've taken the computer apart and cleaned it. Any help on why it is doing this and what I can do to fix it would be much appreciated.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Can you post your computer's specs, things like make and model? Go here and learn how to do some basic checks on the memory and hard drive. If you have any minidumps, you can learn how to post those too:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu46.html

3. AmazingBanana

AmazingBanana TS Rookie Topic Starter

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    System type: 64-bit
    Model: h8-1124

Do you need any other information?

4. Tmagic650

"I've run multiple virus scans, preformed system restores, and nothing has seemed to work"...

You have a hardware issue, but without posting the results of the memory and hard drive tests, it is harder to begin... What type of video card do you have installed. ow many watts is your power supply (make and model number)?

5. AmazingBanana

It looks like it's a 300W power supply, model number PS-6301-4. The video card is HD Radeon 6570. On a related note, my computer just gave me a message saying that my .Net Framework was experiencing and error, and I needed to download an update, except when I go to update it, it says I must use turn windows feature on or off in the control panel. Where do I go from here?

6. AmazingBanana

The .Net error is from a client I have on my computer for video games. It says it is having a problem with the antivirus, so I made it a trusted file, so they won't clash anymore.

7. Tmagic650

Windows 7 right? Go to Windows Update under "All Programs" and run it. Download and install everything it finds, including the optional updates. If an update won't install, restart the computer and run Windows Update again. Even if it says no updates found, try running Windows Update once more

8. AmazingBanana

Okay, I installed everything, except I still get the .Net error message

9. Tmagic650

So what antivirus program are you running? This is the .Net error you are still getting?

10. AmazingBanana

I am using Kaspersky Anti-Virus

11. Tmagic650

12. AmazingBanana

So, do you think the system restarting is a problem with the antivirus?

13. Tmagic650

You were taking about programs interfering with each other. You should turn off automatically restart in System, Advanced System Settings, advanced, Startup and Recovery, then post any minidumps. The link I posted will tell you how

14. AmazingBanana

my minidump file exceeds forum limits, what should I do?

15. Tmagic650

You ZIP the files...

16. AmazingBanana

Here it is

Attached Files:

17. Tmagic650

The file shows no information at all... Is the computer a custom build or did you buy it already built like an HP or Dell? Does it have an Asus motherboard?

18. AmazingBanana

It's an HP, It's new, I've only had it fro about two months

19. AmazingBanana

And about the motherboard, I'm not sure.

20. Tmagic650

See if you can use HP recovery software to perform a "factory restore". It should be easy to do because of the PC's age