Computer restarts after video card upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanman

Hello, just recently, i upgraded my video card from a geforce4 mx4000 to a geforce 6200A. After installing the card i ran nfsu2 and started playing it. However, when im playing this game, the computer constantly restarts. Ive checked the temp of the cpu and the video card but both are normal after the restart. The system did not restart with my mx4000. Im suspecting that my psu is the problem as it is only a 300watt, But i could be wrong?

These are my system specs:

Intel Pentium III 1Ghz
512MB Ram
20GB Seagate HDD
Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 6200A 128MB (AGP)
Hyena 300watt ATX Power Supply.

Cheers, Nissanman.

So basically my question is this, Is a 300watt PSU enough for a 6200 or is it not enough? If its enough, Why would my system be restarting? It restarts mostly in video intensive games or when i overclock it a little. It never restarts when im in Windows.

Well on the box the card came it it should have the reccomended specs for the card, but it sounds like a heat problem. Even though it says nothing is hot after the restart it had plenty of time to cool down a bit during especialy if theres a heatsink or thermal gel. I'd try this to keep track of your temps while playing.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility_1.08.5.html i think this is it
Also get the new drivers from nvidia at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.16_whql.html (THIS IS FOR WINDOWS XP ONLY) assuming thats what your os is.

Nope, i can tell you right now that this is deffinately NOT a heat issue. My CPU never overheats and this video card use to be my friends. A while back, he modified a P3 cpu heatsink for it. He also attached a big fan to the heatsink. This card never gets hot. He use to have it overclocked by 450MHz on the core (from 350mhz) and it never got hot. The core temp barely rose above 45 degrees, even when gaming. I reckon that my Power supply is not powerful enough for a GeForce 6200. It is only a 300watt. My friend has a 430watt and the card never gave him any troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back