Computer restarts after XP logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalba

Hi my computer constantly restarts after the windows xp boot up logo is displayed. Tried starting in safe mode but that does not help. Even "debugging mode" doesnt do it.
Tried repairing using the XP installation disk....no such luck.
Can anybody help?

Your issue, at this point, could be any number of things...
The first thing we want to do is get to a point where some diagnostics can be run, and to do this, we need more information.

Tell us more about your computer (hardware and Windows Version and SP).
Tell us more about the circumstances under which this started happening?
What was / were the last things you were doing successfully?
Had you updated any software?
Had you changed any hardware?

the last thing i did was scan in some pics, then it shut down normally.

I run windows xp sp1, 512mb ram, intel pentium 4 processor (i think) ,cant remember the other specs though sorry. they were saved as a hijack file but hey it's on the same computer.

ummm....guess i'll have on the BIOS setup to get more specs. :(

Okay... The first thing you will want to do, as soon as we can get you running again, is an update to SP3.

I am going to suggest that you do a few things... Most are free.
Most are safe, though some require some special handling of parts, or care in following directions.

1. Get and run memtest... memtest will provide a RAM diagnostic on a non-bootable system. See... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html
We want to make sure that faulty memory is not your problem
(Caution: IF you understand the dangers of static electricity and why it is important not to get any foreign matter (sweat, skin oil etc) on printed circuit boards and chips!) If ram is faulty, then replace and see if issues resolve, otherwise... proceed to step two,

2. Is this a desktop or a laptop? If it is a desktop, then ...
Do you have access to another system where you can install this hard-drive as a slave?
If so, then do so and back up all your data on the other system.

If it is a laptop, then I would recommend using a product like Apricorn to make a copy of your drive.
see... http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39
What we are trying to do is save your important data.
While it is out, Identify the maker of your hard drive, model number and serial number.
These may be needed later, and now is a convenient time to make note of the information.
If you are unable to save your data using either of these methods, then repost before moving to step three.

3. With the information about your hard drive, find and download the utility software provided by the manufacturer.
It may be in a form that can be run outside of windows.
If it runs from windows, run it inside your viable windows installation (step 2). Alternatively, run ChkDsk from within the viable windows installation.
What we are trying to do is see if your hard drive has gone bad, or if it is repairable.

If you cannot get a utility package for your hard drive... or if you cannot use utilities on your hard-drive as described above, then ...

4. Move the drive back to the unbootable system, Install the recovery console and run chkdsk.
Look at this information from MS... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
If you are not comfortable with these instructions, we can probably help you through it.
My purpose is to get you to the point where you can run ChkDsk to check your hard drive for errors.

5. If you have not already done so, run ChkDsk, with the option to automatically repair errors.

6. Go into bios, and configure to boot from your cd. Place your windows cd (or OEM recovery cd) into the cd-rom drive and try to do a repair install.

Do not try to do 3, 4, 5 or 6 until you have been able to back up your data... unless you do not mind losing it.

My suggestion is this,
when starting up the system, preess F8 for boot options, select "disable automatic restart on system failure"
The proble might just be unmountable_boot_volume or something similar, if so, slacve your hard disk with with another system, then attempt running check disk on it

My suggestion is this,
when starting up the system, preess F8 for boot options, select "disable automatic restart on system failure"
The proble might just be unmountable_boot_volume or something similar, if so, slacve your hard disk with with another system, then attempt running check disk on it

nope. when hitting F8, that option does not appear.

What motherboard is this? If its a name brand computer, what model# and brand is it?

May be bad capacitors, check for any visually failing capacitors on it (bulging tops, pushed out bottoms), also, what PSU do you have?

HEY GUYS, SENT IT TO MY COMPUTER REPAIR GUY, and he reapired and reinstalled the os. thanks for y'all help.

Solved: Xp restarts by itself

Hello, I recently solved a "restart shortly after XP boot" problem

I pressed F8 while booting, went in "Safe Mode" . In "run" type "eventvwr.msc" (without quotes), then Enter.

in Event Viewer go to System and look for a red button with an X cross on it. This is a detail of a serious error,and make sure the hour is when the computer crashed/restarted .

Open this error log and please indicate its content. Or, just google about that specific error.

In my case was a processor "intelppm failed to load" error. I had to disable ,in registry, the start of this service "intelppm" . After this my computer works normally, doesn't restart itself.

The services in registry are normaly in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ find the faulty one ,and modify its Start Dword value with 4 to disable (3 to enable)

Good luck ! PcTechPetru
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back