TechSpot

Computer Restarts ALONE: FREEZES *HELP*

By JD2003
Mar 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HELP: Computer Restarts ALONE: FREEZES *HELP*

Hi,

Well, I have a computer that has been giving me some small problems... The PC works fine but only while I am using it. If I leave it on by itself for about 15 minutes, sometimes more, sometimes less... it freezes and I have to click the reset button to restart! I don't know why it's doing this.

Another problem is, sometimes I can be doing anything on the PC and the screen turns black and restarts on its own for no reason.. well, there's is one but that's why Im posting this.. :) I believe the problem has to be related to the freezing but I don't know what! .. Can it be the HDD, OS, or is it Power Failure? Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    JD2003

Specs:

[939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 X2 3800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology

Asus A8N5X nForce4 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0 PCI-E Motherboard

Memory 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200

[PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 6200 with TurboCache Supporting 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

200 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache]

With 450w power supply..

[​IMG]

I click on "CLICK HERE" to see more details and this pops up:

[​IMG]
    I click on

Edit:

After the PC shuts off and turns on itself, when Windows loads this comes up:

2. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 752

I think you are overclocking your hardware. If your not, your hardware may be defective. 9c means hardware failure, such as processor, RAM, or hard drive(although i dont think its possible to overclock a harddrive, im just pointing out that it is critical hardware) Try turning overclocking off, even if you never enabled that, some viruses/bugs and other nasties can change those settings(mine does that all the time)

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hi sw123.

JD2003 has another thread running for this problem.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic46661.html

JD2003. Please don`t post multiple threads for the same problem. Thanks.

Regards Howard :)

4. JD2003

JD2003 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Sorry, I didn't know what thread was it more appropriate on..

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Ok. No worries.

Regards Howard :)

6. Rhodes132

Rhodes132 TS Rookie Posts: 31

I believe it is you power supply. I am having the same exact problem as you right now and have checked with a couple people and they say my power supply is somewhat bad ( good enough to start my computer, bad enough to randomly shut down and give errors such as yours ). I will be getting a new PSU in a week or so and i will tell you if it fixes it for me =)

7. Rhodes132

Rhodes132 TS Rookie Posts: 31

Sad to say but my power supply did not fix this. One of my memory sticks went bad and took it out and computer is running fine (well except for a few different things that are now wrong) but it is not freezing,locking up for me any more so i would advise to check ur memory out...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.