Computer restarts and freezes

By tomstr
Dec 31, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have vista installed on my computer,will restart and freeze,and then sometime it will just run ok.one thing i do notice is that i have 4 gig memory,but only shows 3 gigs why?is this a memory problem?any help will be great thanks...
  2. BlkHeartWolf

BlkHeartWolf Newcomer, in training Posts: 160

I can explain some things and see about the startup issue

Go to {Start} {RUN} type in DXDIAG

save the log file and attach it here
  3. seanc

seanc Newcomer, in training Posts: 284

It only show's 3GB because that's all a 32 bit operating system can address.

We need the specifications of your computer to be able to help you properly. Perhaps put them into your profile so everyone can see them for the future.
  4. BlkHeartWolf

The OLD 3GB limit is not true any more there is a switch also but i won't post it here because it takes some expertise to use it.

I can explain some things and see about the startup issue

Go to {Start} {RUN} type in DXDIAG

save the log file and attach it here
  5. tomstr

tomstr Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

here you go hope this will help
  6. zulu7777

zulu7777 Newcomer, in training

about the memory

in windows XP 32 BIT when you have more than 3 gigs of memory, it will only see 3 gigs, So if you have 4 it will read only 3 gigs. I am nor shure about the vista,
  7. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

As you have Vista installed, the switch or info on Xp is not required

Try running Memtest on your Ram
  8. adweston

adweston Banned Posts: 333

32 bit Vista with SP 1 will SEE the 4GB, but will reserve a minimum 512MB RAM for PCI. It depends on your system and graphics card, some will take more, giving you only 3 or 3.25 GB of usable memory.
  9. tomstr

i have done a memory test and came out ok,did anyone read my text file on the diag.when the computer warmed up and after i downloaded flashplayer it has ran great all day,i,thank you for all the help but i will see tomorow..i will let you know eather way...
  10. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Does it ever give you a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)? If so, we might be able to find the problem if you upload your minidumps.
  11. BlkHeartWolf

read it and you are find, windows is reporting availible memory not your hardware total

12. tomstr

yes i do get the blue screen,not allways,seems to happen when i first start the computer...thanks
  13. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

If possible, navigate to your C:\Windows\Minidump folder and upload some of the more recent .dmp files in there.
  14. tomstr

here are the files

did you read my file?
  15. troganhorse

troganhorse Newcomer, in training

It only shows 3 gigs(happens to me too) because vista itself takes up a gig. Or atlease thats what im told. I have a x64 tho.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.